Tire Size With FE5 Suspension - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Tire Size With FE5 Suspension

I'm a long way off from doing any suspension/tire work, but thought I'd plan ahead anyway.

So, I've decided that at some point I'm going to swap for the FE5 suspension, and maybe use lowering springs. I'm also fairly certain that for the next set of tires I buy, I'm going to go either 225/45/ZR17 or 245/40/ZR17. Does anyone know if those fit without any rubbing on the FE5 suspension and the FE5 with lowering springs? Also, which would you go with, the 225 or the 245?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Shibito on CSS ran 255/35R18s on stock SS/TC wheels with Eibach springs.

But that really is pushing it. I'd go with the 225s. Things start to get funky with that wide of a tire on such a small car, it may actually become detrimental.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties

Last edited by MP81; 07-13-2015 at 08:52 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Thanks for the answer! I assume you mean that anything above 245 would start to get funky. I was thinking of going 255, but thought that'd be really wide for a little Cobalt.

Quote:
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Say What again!

Garage
With a 17, I wouldn't really go much above a 225 as it's not really needed. I made a typo, haha (meant the 225s). Most people stick with a 225 or 235, even on the 18s.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Haha, alright, no problem! I'm sure I'll notice a difference from my 205's either way!

Quote:
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Say What again!

Garage
The physical tire itself will likely be more of something you notice compared to the wider section width (i.e. going from no-season to summer).

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Yeah, I've got some cheap Capitol Sport tires on there now because that's what came with my wheels when I bought them. Just about any tire will feel nicer!

Quote:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Say What again!

Garage
When I jumped from the 195/60R15 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS (best UHPAS in that size at the time) to my 225/40R18 Dunlop Direzza ZIIs...it was beyond comparison.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
I'll bet! Dunlop is actually a brand I've been considering. I'm thinking of going with either them or Hankook.

Quote:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Are you looking for a summer tire?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode