Difference in Rear Wheel Drums for Alloy Non Alloy Wheels.. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Difference in Rear Wheel Drums for Alloy Non Alloy Wheels..

I need new rear brakes which are drums/shoes on a 2009 LT with 16 in alloy wheels. Due to the high mileage on the car, and I bought it used. I want to go new drums, shoes and springs/adjustors. I would also like to replace the fluid. I also want to have all the parts on hand so I am not running around looking for parts once I start.

In looking online for parts I have found there is supposed to be a difference between the drums for alloy wheels and non alloy wheels? GM wholesale and rockauto both have different drums for the type of wheel.

Anybody here know why that is? If the drums are 5 bolt why would it matter? Also will aftermarket steel rims with winter tires not work?

Thanks I have just never seen such a specification with any other car I have owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Expert

Garage
Not sure what the difference in the drum brakes would be. I know that they had both 4 lug and 5 lug options, so that might be the problem there.

As for the aftermarket wheels + winter tires, they'll work fine as long as you get the right size wheels (offset, diameter, and lug pattern) and tires. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 15" wheel, and no larger than an 18". It's also easiest to try to get your tires to be as close to stock diameter so your speedo is accurate. This website should help with that:
Tire Size Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I thought of that but some listings are for 5 lug non alloy and they list a different drum for alloy... It is just something I have never come across before so I am curious. I will see what the counter guy says at the jobber we use here in town...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode