Lowering - Shocks/struts/springs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Lowering - Shocks/struts/springs

So I am looking to lower my 2009 chevy cobalt sedan. It is currently stock but I am looking to stance the car.... eventually get new tires and wheels. You know the deal. anyways, I am new to lowering and cars in general. I have had trucks my whole life and only have done cosmetic changes.

I have been looking at B&G S2 lowering springs but have been told to also purchase shocks/struts at the same time since my factory ones will crap out. I have been looking on the forums and have noticed people getting FE5's? Is it a good idea to buy the FE5s and install those? And once I save up some money buy the lowering springs as well? or how does the whole process work?

Thanks for any info/suggestions. Anything helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Expert

Garage
Well, if you're gonna #StanceNation your car, I think any shocks/struts will crap out on you, but the FE5's seem to handle lowering springs much better than any of the stock 2.2L shocks/struts. You can get them from CED. Also, a lot of guys here like the SSC springs for a decent drop and noticeable increase in handling. They're a tad cheaper than B&G's too, so that might be something to look into.

Yeah, you'd want to install all the parts at the same time. Don't put your current springs into FE5 struts. Wait until you've collected both the shocks/struts package and the lowering springs to install everything at once.

FE5 Shocks & Struts - Crate Engine Depot
SSC Lowering Springs - ZZPerformance

By the way, this is what I'm talking about when I say "#StanceNation". If you're going with a tiny bit of camber, your suspension will last a whole lot longer than this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

Last edited by Parthros; 09-08-2015 at 02:14 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Forum Regular

My vote is for SSC/CM springs, they handle great, lower it a fair amount and the ride isn't harsh. If you want a bit more chamber in the front you might want to consider swapping out your control arms for FE5s out of a SS/TC.

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthros View Post
By the way, this is what I'm talking about when I say "#StanceNation". If you're going with a tiny bit of camber, your suspension will last a whole lot longer than this:
My God, they've done it.. they've made a PIT-proof car!

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Yea I ain't going for crazy camber. Just lowering it and putting some nice wheels on it. Going for b&g springs because those give the most drop out of all the springs I have searched for. I just didn't know about the shocks/struts.

Last edited by butters90; 09-09-2015 at 05:29 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:05 AM
Expert

Garage
Yup, the FE5 shocks/struts are the best for the price, and you should definitely put them in the same time as your B&Gs. You have any idea what wheels you're gonna put on it?

Quote:
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Not exactly sure yet. I've browsed through JNC, BBS, and Avant Garde. My problem is I don't know if I want to stick with my black/white theme or just change it up with chrome or even color. wheels are way down the line though.

Last edited by butters90; 09-10-2015 at 07:53 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Forum Regular

How much lower are the b&g vs ssc?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

the SSC were 1-1.5 and the b&g are 2-2.5
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Expert

Garage
From the Performance Suspension FAQ/Advice thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBeck View Post
Springs

Oh boy, here we go...

Eibach - VERY high quality springs.
- Sportlines - Very high quality springs, actually one of the best. Good drop, not too aggressive. However, they employ coil bind which limits your rapid multi-compression performance in the rear.
- Front: 2.0"
- Rear: 2.5"
- Prokit - Excellent spring, afaik they do not use dead coils, so performance will be better than sportlines.
- Front:1.6"
- Rear: 1.8"

K-Sport - coil bind, not quite as high quality, but k-sport has a good reputation.
- Front: 1" SS, 2" Base
- Rear: 1.3" SS, 2.5" Base

Tein - Tein is legendary in the import world, but i have not seen many owners of these springs. Any input is welcome.
- Front: 1.2"
- Rear: 1.3"

Tenzo-R - Meh. They do have a pretty good drop. I don't have any experience with these springs.
- Front: 2"

SSC - I have heard they have nearly identical spring rates to stock SS/SC springs. Good handing, great ride. I have also seen a tendency to sag over time.
- Front: 1" SS, 2" Base
- Rear: 1.5" Both

B&G - VERY low. No experience.
- Front: 1.6"
- Rear: 2"

Pedders - THE BEST. These are the springs i run. They dont have a radical drop, but their rates are better than any other spring available. Ride better and handle MUCH better than stock. Perfect compliment to SS/TC struts
- Front: 1.5"
- Rear: 1.6"

H&R Race - Good ride, great drop. Again, very high quality spring, but it uses dead coils. A little bouncy, i imagine most of the coil bind drop springs are.
- Front: 2"
- Rear: 1.6"
H&R Sport - No experience, but I imagine similar to the Race, just slightly softer and not quite as low.
- Rear: 1.4"

Progress - One of the best looking drops IMO. Comparable to Sportlines as far as ride quality.
- Rear: 2.0"

Sprint - No experience.
- Front: 1.6"
- Rear: 1.9"

Zenn - Very cheap. You get what you pay for IMO
- Front:
- Rear:

Dropzone - ?
- Front: ?
- Rear: ?

Goldline (Discontinued) - The HRR guys love these, but i have never seen them on a Cobalt.
- Front: ?
- Rear: ?

ARK - Another coil bind spring, similar to the K-Sports in quality and ride.
- Front: 2.0"

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode