Loss of Steering Power-Assist - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Loss of Steering Power-Assist

Mileage: 70k
05 granite sedan base, atx

I was out delivering pizzas several nights ago on the freeway, when the wheel became stiff and the Info Center said simply "POWER STEERING"
I lost all power assist and pulled over. I restarted on the side of the freeway and kept going.

over the next 2 or 3 days it has been doing this to me.. a click in the column or column area and the message followed by and extensive workout...

30 times it's done this today (had to keep working) and the dealership isn't open until monday.

They can take this pos and put some front end components in it before I get it back... it rattles, creaks, pops, and frankly just downright worries me.

It's so sad that GM puts out this garbage... it's like the new malibu vs old commercials... in a few years it'll be "remember those junker cobalts we made? we're a different company now!"

this is more of a rant than anything else... though I am looking for anyone that's had similar issue(s)

05 Base ATX, sedan, stock, blue granite, 151k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
domin8

I had this issue happen in only one of the Chevy cars my company had in its fleet. Can't remember if it was an 07 or 08 Cobalt or Malibu, but it has happened.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Cobalt Master

okay, this happened just after i did the clutch in my balt, but first to go was the speedometer, if your speedo isnt working as well, then the problem with the power steering is the signal......have the VSS replaced(vehicle speed sensor)

the cobalt employs a speed sensitive electric steering to make high speed manouvers easier

if it is not that, then there is something shorting out in the steering column(which it may be, judging by what you are saying, but when the light comes on, does the check engine light come on with it? And does the speedo still work?

Cobaltkrazy: Turning aftermarket parts to dust, since 2006!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakdOut07LT View Post
ill be the DRUNKEST mofo there btw can someone keep an eye on my kid while i go get another beer?
How to post pics:
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...tml#post169806

Last edited by cobaltkrazy; 01-06-2008 at 01:36 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

the speedometer works but seems sluggish to get back to zero.. it's at the dealership now
front end on the car sounds like its falling apart...

05 Base ATX, sedan, stock, blue granite, 151k miles
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 AM
SilverStreak

the power steering is electric... sounds like a short...

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjordan View Post
the speedometer works but seems sluggish to get back to zero.. it's at the dealership now
front end on the car sounds like its falling apart...
That's a cobalt thing

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Forum Regular

well, at 70k miles, i'm assuming that you have checked out all the suspension and steering components a bunch of times as maintenance? make sure there's no leaks, everything is connected properly, fuses look good, etc? struts aren't leaking, springs aren't cracked, everything is tight? if so, i don't get why you wouldn't have noticed. if you haven't, then you need to make it part of your routine. parts wear out, and need to be checked regularly. you should be checking your suspension components at least every 15,000 miles.

let us know what the problem is when they find it.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular

my06 did the same thing took it to dealership they told me with the electric power steering if you turn wheels to full lock left or right the power steering goes into safe mode so the electric motor dont burn up
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Newcomer

i have an 05 cobalt and it has the same issue if you find out whats wrong with the power assist please let me know. p.s. i deliver pizza daily and know what its like
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:03 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

^^ I had the same thing happen to my car! Its the vehicle speed sensor.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode