Lowering My Cobalt Ls - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Lowering My Cobalt Ls

the car is already lowered either 1.5 to 2 inches, i did not add this kit on there and have no clue what it is, just looks like the cheaper red springs, most likely ebay, but they do ride very well.

with this said i want to just about slam this car, i did read up on how low you can go on a cobalt, and i seen a few pictures, however from what im seeing the axles are known to break under the pressure of being this low so im looking to lower it more however i do not know how low i can go before it starts to add alot of stress to the frame/axles, whenever i learn how to add pictures on here i will show you all the car and the stance it has at the current moment, but any advice on lowering the car more please let me know of any brands.

thank you

Last edited by jmelton327; 09-20-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 06:11 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Can't say I've heard of a Cobalt which broke an axle from being lowered. I've been lowered for 5 years now (if I'm remembering correctly when I did it), about 1.5" all the way around, on FE5 struts (used) and shocks (new), and it's perfectly fine.

The most you generally run into is if it is lowered on FE1 struts - they'll give out eventually, since they aren't designed to handle lowering springs.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties

Last edited by MP81; 09-21-2015 at 06:13 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Red springs? Might be Pedders. At the time they were touted as the best handling spring available. Drop is negligible (~1.5"), but the car will handle like it's on rails. I ran Pedders on my G5 and they did just fine, however the rear springs rusted out pretty badly after a few months.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Could be SSCs as well, mine are red.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Expert

Garage
Looking on eBay, they could also be LoTeks. Hopefully not though!

Now, I saw that elsewhere you posted that you'd like to add a lot of horsepower to your car. I'd suggest not slamming it because that can take away from the performance experience. Rubbing can be a huge buzzkill, and if you sacrifice ride quality for a lower drop, you'll probably regret it in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelton327 View Post
the car is already lowered either 1.5 to 2 inches, i did not add this kit on there and have no clue what it is, just looks like the cheaper red springs, most likely ebay, but they do ride very well.

with this said i want to just about slam this car, i did read up on how low you can go on a cobalt, and i seen a few pictures, however from what im seeing the axles are known to break under the pressure of being this low so im looking to lower it more however i do not know how low i can go before it starts to add alot of stress to the frame/axles, whenever i learn how to add pictures on here i will show you all the car and the stance it has at the current moment, but any advice on lowering the car more please let me know of any brands.

thank you
My car looks almost identical in ride height that yours is. The car is low believe me .. There's just no ground effects on the base models. If you added the SS body kit or even the base model body kit it would "look" a lot lower, so would having larger rims and a smaller sidewall tire.

FE5 struts and shocks with good lowering springs is a good combination even on daily drivers. I know, I've swapped over myself. My springs are also red and ride great. I got them from one of the vendors listed somewhere in this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode