Anti-roll/ sway bars - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Anti-roll/ sway bars

Does anyone remember what the stock sizes are on non ss and the ss models...i think for non ss it was something like 16mm front and 19mm rear and i cant remember the ss

2006 black cobalt ls

17'' MB drifter wheels, blacked out taillights, debadged, 1 12" kicker sub, jbl 2-way component speakers, 2 1/4" custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler and cat, eibach pro-kit,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Forum Regular

FE1= 18 mm (outside in a box)
FE3= 22 mm (I believe)
FE5= 24 mm (installed)

The rear trailing arm doesnít have a serviceable "sway bar" but there is a welded strengthening bar under the main beam, 20 mm is stock FE1. I remember because I measured it when I installed my progressive rear bar and got a total of 42 mm's of rear bar.

2006 LS coupe, manual, Victory Red
Sportlines, FE5 struts, shocks, front swaybar, Progressive 22mm rear swaybar, Airlift load assist rear airbags, TWM ST shifter, smoothed TB, LSJ exhaust, debadged, demudflapped, Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's. Soon to come 17x7 Motegi Tracklight 1.0. Best to date 15.402 at 90mph

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

nice thanks man....how much did you pay for the progressive rear bar and where did you get it

2006 black cobalt ls

17'' MB drifter wheels, blacked out taillights, debadged, 1 12" kicker sub, jbl 2-way component speakers, 2 1/4" custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler and cat, eibach pro-kit,

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to cobalt07ls
With an anti-roll/sway bar....does it really make a difference? This is my first front wheel drive car. I had bigger sway bars on my '84 Camaro Z. And it made a big difference. Just wondering.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

i don't have them yet but i would think so....the less chassis twist and body roll there is the better corning ability

2006 black cobalt ls

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone13 View Post
nice thanks man....how much did you pay for the progressive rear bar and where did you get it
Turbo Tech Racing had them, I paid about $150 for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt07ls View Post
With an anti-roll/sway bar....does it really make a difference? This is my first front wheel drive car. I had bigger sway bars on my '84 Camaro Z. And it made a big difference. Just wondering.
Oh yes, huge difference. The different diameter and construction sway bars allow for suspension tuning. Front wheel drive vehicles typically display understeer in corners. Itís possible to correct this by having the vehicles rear suspension stiffer than the front, such as adding a rear sway bar like the Progressive unit. It is possible to over do this, bigger is not always better, but you need to start experimenting somewhere.

Sportlines, FE5 struts, shocks, front swaybar, Progressive 22mm rear swaybar, Airlift load assist rear airbags, TWM ST shifter, smoothed TB, LSJ exhaust, debadged, demudflapped, Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's. Soon to come 17x7 Motegi Tracklight 1.0. Best to date 15.402 at 90mph

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecarloman:
Turbo Tech Racing had them, I paid about $150 for it
Thanks a lot man pretty good price, what about your front swaybar?

hey man sweet i didn't notice you've got the balt bagged...you have any pics?

2006 black cobalt ls

Last edited by tyrone13; 01-16-2008 at 07:04 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular

I posted up a how-to but I dont own a digital camera so no real pictures. Just so Borrowed pics from GM and some other original creations. My front sway bar is an FE5 24mm unit. Had to make some modifications to the bushings to get it to fit though

Lucius Cornelius Sulla
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM
SilverStreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecarloman View Post
FE1= 18 mm
FE3= 22 mm
FE5= 24 mm
You are correct. I had a chance to measure the sway bar on a Ion RL recently... it is indeed 22mm...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecarloman:
I posted up a how-to but I dont own a digital camera so no real pictures. Just so Borrowed pics from GM and some other original creations. My front sway bar is an FE5 24mm unit. Had to make some modifications to the bushings to get it to fit though
Thats tooooo bad well if you ever get some pics you should definitely post them

2006 black cobalt ls

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode