CABs or Struts?? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

CABs or Struts??

I'm having some serious knocking going on in the passenger side front end. Even the slightest bump will cause the knock, but obviously the bigger the bump, the louder the knock. I have checked the sway bar links and all seems fine, as well as nothing being loose component wise. I may not have checked my CABs for failure properly, but what is the best way to decide whether the problem is the control arms or the struts themselves?? I cant replicate the knock by bouncing the front end, but I can hear air being released from the shock. The drivers side I cannot hear any air, which has lead me to think the main issue is the strut assembly. There is also a lot of knocking at highway speeds when I let OFF of the accelerator. Before I start ripping things apart and throwing money at it....do these symptoms sound more like one or the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Expert

Garage
I think that normally this indicates worn control arm bushings.

How many miles are on your current struts? Most struts are supposed to be replaced every 50,000 miles, so if you're over, you might want to go ahead and replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The struts were replaced no more than two years ago & definitely not 50k miles ago. Looks like I'll have to invest in some new CABs. Ive heard good things about the Moog ProblemSolver.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Tried the MooG Problem Solver. I have a brand new set here that you can have. Didn't solve my problem for very long until they went bad. Get the Cavalier solid bushings and run a bead of silicone along the seam on both sides and you'll never need to replace them again.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode