How in the WORLD Do You Get the Rear Part of Control Arm Back Where It Goes? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

How in the WORLD Do You Get the Rear Part of Control Arm Back Where It Goes?

I would be using language just as strong as what I've been yelling the last half hour, but I think this is a family forum...

How in the world do I get the new control arm I have here back where it goes? It was a bit of a pain to get the old arm out, but now I feel I'm damaging the new arm's rear bushing by trying every angle possible to get it through the metal opening and back to where I can screw the bushing back in. There's just not a big enough gap for the bushing to fit, and not enough wiggle room to try to get a good angle with the rotor and stabilizer bar in the way.

Every write-up I see for this, no mention of this headache at all... How is it seemingly so easy for everyone else? I have rubbed off some of the rubber at the very top/end of the bushing trying to squeeze it in, it's just not working. So now I'm transportation-less until I figure this out. Help please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Take a pry bar and spread the opening. Don't worry it will pull back together when you torque the big bolt going through.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Staff Alumni

Yup. It's a nightmare without prying it wider.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

It worked! That's a tough piece of metal to feel like you're getting any actual bending done, but after enough force I managed to widen it enough for the new arm to slide in like it was glad to be home. Thanks for the super quick reply and the reassurance that I wasn't screwing anything up by doing the only thing that seemed remotely possible when getting that thing back in (forcefully widening the opening). Because there was no way in hell it was getting back in there without doing that...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You're

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

This job has made it clear I'm missing a tool: A rubber hammer! Had to pound the control arm in a few places to get it to slide back far enough, and to get the balljoint thingy back in its hole. Overall, not a terrible job, with the exception of almost losing my mind when I couldn't get the new arm back in. I had planned to do both today, but I took too long with the first one, so I just changed my oil and called it a day as the sun went down.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
When in doubt, hit it with a hammer!

I don't recall having any issues getting my FE5 control arms into the car way back when. Guess I got lucky.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Forum Regular

I just did mine, and I had more of an issue lining the bolt up than I did getting it back into the space.

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

For that part, I decided to tighten the other 3 bolts to spec, put the wheel back on, then lower the car back down so the arm would flatten out more and allow the bushing to line up with the top hole. Worked like a charm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode