Trouble Finding Rear Wheel Hub Replacement Info. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Trouble Finding Rear Wheel Hub Replacement Info.

So, when I was getting my studs switched over, they told me my rear wheel bearing is bad. They wanted almost $400 to change it. But the rear wheel hub is held in by 4 nuts. So, no reason I can't just change it myself. I already ordered the new hub. So it should be here in a week or so. Meanwhile, I'm trying to study up on changing this out so I'll know what to do when something goes wrong or know what to expect. So, I've searched YouTube and Google and I'm not finding much of anything. I'm pretty sure my rear suspension is torsion bar and I have rear drum brakes. I did read something that the rear coil springs would have to be removed in order to access the nuts. Since mine has torsion bars, I shouldn't have to worry about that. Also my goal is to change out the hub without having to remove the rear brake shoes. I'll remove them if I have to. But if I don't have to, I won't. I have a basic understanding what I need to do, but the info out there is very lacking. It's like nobody has really done this repair. So, I've done my Google searches and what-not. So, I'm creating this thread as a last resort in hopes somebody might know where the info is. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
4 or 5 bolt hub? Year of your Cobalt would also help!

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

5 bolt and it's a 2008 LT Sedan with ABS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Well, I thought it had rear torsion bars because that's what was advertised when I bought it. Used my phone to shoot video from behind the tire and saw coil springs. Still not sure if I have to remove the coil spring to access the hub nuts, but it looks fairly easy. I'll try to get all this on video when I tackle this.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
It has a rear torsion beam. That describes the rear "axle".

Shouldn't be too tough to do the hub, though.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

What do I torque the nuts to the hub to? I'm not finding any info online.

Edit: I found somewhere that it's 33 ft/lbs plus 30 degrees. Anyway, it's back together now.

Last edited by kcg795; 12-24-2015 at 05:42 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

My drive to work this morning went well. Nothing came apart on me. When I was changing out the hub, I did have to remove the spring to get to the nuts and discovered it was broken at the bottom. I heard this was common with Cobalts. At least I know how to change them now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode