Drum & Shoe Replacement Options? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Drum & Shoe Replacement Options?

I'm getting pretty close to replacing my brakes, and for the front, I'm planning on getting Hawk HPS pads and some decent plain rotors (maybe Raybestos). I haven't seen any suggestions for drums/shoes. What would you guys go with? Suggestions for front rotors would definitely be helpful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:39 PM
Forum Regular

I went with the ACDelco Professional Durastop front rotors and rear drums, and the ACDelco Advantage ceramic front pads and bonded rear shoes. I have 12k on them now, and for 200$ for new rotors, drums, pads and shoes, they have worked pretty well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
I'm in the process of modding the engine, and wanted to get the brakes to match (or outperform), which is why I'm going with the Hawk HPS pads. I didn't see any shoes by Hawk, so maybe I'll look into ACDelco for them.

Quote:
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:11 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The drums contribute so little to the overall vehicle braking, as long as you buy something that isn't complete junk, you'll be plenty fine.

I think I did Raybestos or Centric drums and Centric shoes. AC Delco is generally more than fine - I think I did those for the Cav's drums - OEM parts, so they're not garbage.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
I read that if you got a good drum brake kit, it'd actually do something, lol

I didn't see Raybestos drums, but I'll look again. Thanks, MP

EDIT: There's literally an entire brake drum category on their website. No idea how I missed it the first time.

Quote:

Last edited by Parthros; 12-15-2015 at 07:35 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Nah, you'd need to go bigger to improve anything. And you get about one-two hard stops out of a drum brake, before they fade and then do nothing - that's why old cars with four-wheel drums were particularly terrifying.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Well, I knew 4 wheel drum brakes were a bad idea (although you're obviously limited by the tech of your time), but I had no idea they faded so quickly. Probably "used them up" the one time I forgot to turn off the parking brake as a teenager, lol. I didn't get far before the warning noise kicked on, but still...

Quote:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:04 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Oh yeah, 4-wheel drums made panic stops quite terrifying.

Rear drums don't see much pressure off the proportioning valve compared to the front discs, so they really won't be noticeably fading.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-580137-Advanced-Technology-Brake/dp/B000C6WJ3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450198026&sr=8-1&keywords=580137 are the rotors you have, right MP? I've got the 4-lug non-ABS brakes, and wanna make sure these'll fit.

Quote:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Yup, those are what I have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode