Continental Touring Contact AS? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Continental Touring Contact AS?

So far, the original Continental tires on my Cobalt seem fine. They hold dry roads pretty well (for a T rated tire) and haven't given me any trouble in rainy conditions. Of course, being a "touring" tire, they ride great and are very quiet.

I haven't tried them in snow yet.

What's the opinion of these tires around here?

The tread looks pretty aggressive for an all-season type but reviews I've read online say they stink in bad weather.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Newcomer

In rain i haven't had any trouble with them, I don't know your snow situation, but i'm in southwest Pa. and i've never had a bit of trouble with sliding when i wasn't trying to, and my car doesn't have anti-lock brakes. So that should make more traction issues, but they've held up fairly well.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to 06MACobalt Send a message via Yahoo to 06MACobalt
personally I thought they were trash... hydro planed in the rain, no traction in the snow, I couldn't wait to get rid of them! I have Toyo's on now and love them

Dan

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Newcomer

Continental Tires

I agree w/ Dan.
The stock Continentals on my 05 Cobalt wore out at 22,000 miles. When I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza's the car handled MUCH better, with far better traction in the rain and no difference in noise. The Potenza's now have about 15,000 miles with little sign of wear, whereas the Continentals at 15,000 were hydroplaning regularly.
I'm replacing the 05 Cobalt with an 08 Cobalt on Monday and plan to sell the brand-new Continentals. Four snow tires that are on the 05 Base Cobalt w/ steel wheels right now handle better than the brand-new Continentals on every single new Cobalt I've driven.
That's just how bad the Continentals are.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Not sure if they are the same I had when I had my LS but they sucked for anything remotely more than taking off easy and driving easy. Had a manual of course and it was way to easy to break them lose and make myself seem like I was trying to be all cool when I was just trying to get moving haha. They sucked when it came to breaking, had a couple of hit the brake moments and than I was wondering if I was even going to stop before smacking the rear of the idiot who pulled out infront of me. They are not bad but definately a tire I would not want again. I still have them in the garage, only 7797 miles on them or something cause I put new wheels and tires on the LS and than traded it in so I have a few things left over from it.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page

Last edited by Beamer; 01-20-2008 at 09:11 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to 06MACobalt Send a message via Yahoo to 06MACobalt
Beamer, I like your graphics!

Dan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Thanks, its mixed w/ people for some reason. Alot of people wanted me to take them off after buying it and be like all the other yellow ones. Luckily I did not cave, being my car and all and decided to keep them. Most of the people who did not like them see it in just pics, looks much better in person.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Newcomer

this is something that has confused me, and i want to make sure we're talking about the same tires here. I have a LS with 15's and the continental all season tires. I'm wondering if i got some magical super tires cause i keep hearing people saying how terrible they are, and how they're constantly slipping and sliding, when mine haven't broken loose once. Not once have the ever hydroplaned, and i've only slid in snow once and that was my fault. Hell i park in front of my house and don't even shovel the snow plow piles away from my car i just drive through it. Now i understand that with the supersport people you've got a low profile tire, which means you have a wide flat contact patch. In bad weather your just screwed, but with that kind of tire any non-premium tire is gonna suck in bad weather. How about others with the 15's am i special or are others ok.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

dtadla:

Good point.

The tires I am talking about are Touring Contact AS, in 195/60/15. They are a GM spec touring tire with a T speed rating and are listed Traction A, Temperature B. These came stock on my LT.

I figure since they are touring tires (not low profile H or V rated) they would not handle so well at high speed, in the corners. But so far, mine haven't broken loose either- except the first day I had the Cobalt when I gave her a little too much gas coming away from a light and they squealed a bit! That's normal IMHO.

The reason I asked the original question is, while the tread looks like it would be great in heavy rain and snow (open shoulders, lots of small siped blocks in the middle), the online reviews I saw were very poor.

I will probably wait until it snows again and try them for myself. In rain, I've had no problems.

Thanks for all the posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Update

Well, yesterday I drove to work in 4-5 inches of unplowed snow and drove home in a snow/sleet mix on paved, plowed roads. I had no problems at all and never came close to getting stuck or losing control. And my traction control light only blinked twice the whole way, so I can't say the tires are lousy and traction control compensated for it.

So, my two cents about the stock tires is: good ride, good dry, rain and snow control and no noise. For a daily driver, that I like to throw into the corners once in a while, I have no complaints and plan to keep these tires.

It's the first time in years that I haven't had to replace the tires on a vehicle I bought, used or new! Thanks to Chevy for putting a halfway decent tire on a car or truck for a change.

Last edited by BigHog; 02-23-2008 at 05:50 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode