Got My B&G Springs (need Installed) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Got My B&G Springs (need Installed)

So I got the best lowering spring possible since I can't afford coilovers. My question to all of you is once I get them installed should I put the new springs on stock struts? or get myself a set of KYB? I don't want to order yet till I see what's the best option and try to save money since am scrappin and savin'. sigh... I need a better good paying job.

Sunburst Orange 2006 LS Cobalt 2.2L Halo Projector LED lights Exterior/Interior, Xentec (HID kit / 8000K ), Smoked lights, Decals, K&N 69-4515TS Typhoon cold air intake system, 2.2L DOHC Tsudo N1 catback exhaust, Blacked out badges, 35% Window tint, 2" B&G Lowering Springs, DC Strut Bar, Rear Tow Hook, Painted Calipers/ Wheel drum, OBX Header, Areospeed Orange Lugnuts, Black Maxxim Air Rims, Sony CDXGT565UP Car Stereo Receiver with USB Input and Pandora Control
A lot still in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular

kyb fe5 upgrade. They are wayyy stiffer than the fe1s, but not bad.
fe3s are even a nice median. I have the fe3s on my base ion with lsj springs and love em.

fe5s with ssc springs on the redline, and she handles like a dream

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 06:53 AM
Expert

Garage
Actually, the ACDelco (OEM from the Cobalt SS/TC) FE5 shocks and struts are a really good setup. Plus, they're relatively affordable on Amazon. You definitely don't want to leave the FE1 stuff on there since you're lowering it. The shocks and struts just don't react well. I've heard they go bad on you pretty quickly.

I know that MP81 has been on the ACDelco FE5 shocks/struts and SSC springs for quite a while, and he really likes them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SGYDK8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-506-684-Equipment-Passenger-Suspension/dp/B003YMPL1Y/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1P1DDE1RNBWVMRWXSDR9
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SGYLO6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

Last edited by Parthros; 12-29-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: grammar

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 AM
Cobalt Master

I've been on fe5/yyz combo for about 20 miles now and I love it haha

Quote:
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthros View Post
I know that MP81 has been on the ACDelco FE5 shocks/struts and SSC springs for quite a while, and he really like it.
Yup - 50k or 60k miles. Love 'em!

Definitely FE5 (2008+ SS/TC) struts and shocks are your best bet, short of coilovers. YYZ springs are the best handling ones out there, and I usually recommend SSC for nearly as much handling, but if you desire a slightly larger drop.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Expert

Garage
Canuck Motorsport (CM) springs are supposed to handle similarly to SSC's and are a bit cheaper too. They're $180 shipped right now.

Canuck Motorsports - Domestic Lowering Springs

Quote:
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Forum Regular

I believe canuck and ssc are made by the same people

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 AM
Expert

Garage
I'm fairly certain you're right, although there is actually a difference in the spring design. From pictures I've seen (I haven't bought my CM springs yet), the SSC springs are not progressive while the rear CM ones are.

Maybe MP81 can identify which ones he received when he bought his SSC springs?

SSC Springs:

CM Springs:

Imgur Album

Quote:
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I have SSC springs, but they have dead coils in the back.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Expert

Garage
Huh, I wonder if there was some type of SSC V2 that were progressive or something. You got your springs from ZZP, right?

Also, when installed, do the "dead" coils go at the top?

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode