Steering Wheel Shakes and Vibrates ? What Could Cause This ? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Unhappy Steering Wheel Shakes and Vibrates ? What Could Cause This ?

i have a 07 chevy cobalt and my steering wheel shakes from 30-65 mph and as i go faster it kinda goes away but not that much. i have had the front end checked and shaken down and everything is nice and tight. My steering column has a clunk when i turn the wheel and seems like there is a binding sound coming from where the steering shaft connects to the rack and pinion has any one else ran into this before ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:34 AM
Forum Regular

Are your tires warped/worn in any way?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

tires are all good no uneven wear on them

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The binding is probably caused by your intermediate steering shaft. I had to replace the one on the 08.

Shaking at that speed is usually bad balance. Or maybe you lost some weights.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Expert

Garage
It's also possible that if you've curb jumped it that a rim got slightly bent. That'll cause shaking. Check out the balance first though, because that'd be the cheapest to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Newcomer

I basically have the same problem....I have replaced struts, lower control arms, tie rods, wheel hubs and both CV shafts....tires have been checked but yet still a vibration....love my car but about to get rid of....only thing that a mechanic told me...and I hope not...is a bad output shaft bearing in trans causing shaft to vibrate....that's the case I will get rid of....while a replacement is cheap...pain to do....automatic trans by the way...the cr has been great...180000 miles and still good power and MPG...but I have spent over a grand in the last 2 months to end up back in the same spot... I can get an A rated trans from a yard for $200...but no guarantee that's it and a weekend of me on my back...
The only things I have not checked are the mounts....but I don't know if they would cause that type of vibration...
By the way...the harder I put my foot in it.....the worse it is...then levels out to a slight vibration...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinist_clark View Post
I basically have the same problem....I have replaced struts, lower control arms, tie rods, wheel hubs and both CV shafts....tires have been checked but yet still a vibration....love my car but about to get rid of....only thing that a mechanic told me...and I hope not...is a bad output shaft bearing in trans causing shaft to vibrate....that's the case I will get rid of....while a replacement is cheap...pain to do....automatic trans by the way...the cr has been great...180000 miles and still good power and MPG...but I have spent over a grand in the last 2 months to end up back in the same spot... I can get an A rated trans from a yard for $200...but no guarantee that's it and a weekend of me on my back...
The only things I have not checked are the mounts....but I don't know if they would cause that type of vibration...
By the way...the harder I put my foot in it.....the worse it is...then levels out to a slight vibration...
Do you get any kind of noise along with the vibration?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Prospect

I have a vibration in my wheel too around the same speeds. I got the car realigned and it seems to be vibrating more now which makes me think it's the balancing of the tires or a wheel bearing. Do you fine it pulls at all?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Newcomer

The only noise I can hear is the slight vibration...and car was aligned and in spec less than 2 weeks ago....here is the other thing....radial play on both sides of shaft at trans....alignment shop said there is typically some there...but how much is too much....??
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Prospect

Mine is doing the same thing.

My cobalt passenger side axle popped out a month ago. I gotten my tools and tried to put it back in but it wasn't locking in. I brought it to the dealership and they told me the differential carrier assembly was bad and it was going to be $2000 to fix it.

I gotten it back from the dealership and towed it up to aamco transmission. Some how they gotten the cv axle to lock back in the transmission.

As of right now I feel that the cv axle wants to come out again. My car feels like it's wobbling at 25mph on up to 70. My intermediate shaft is making noise. The outside of both of my tires are worn. But that may be an alignment issue. But that wobble scares me though and I don't want to be on the side of the road again with the cv axle out of the transmission. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode