best way to improve handling on the LS? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

best way to improve handling on the LS?

I got some extra money now and have figured out that the cobalt handles nothing like my old Z26 did, so whats my options? will shocks and struts out of a SS swap right in and not cause problems? or is there aftermarket struts and shocks? i need something that wont cause problems with the steering or anything... your help is appreciated!

2008 Cobalt - Used to be a show car, now Daily Driver..
1994 Beretta Z26- Quad 4 5 speed W41 cammed 205 hp at the wheels. Too much to list..
1993 Beretta - Parts car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Cobalt Master

want my opinion, buy a better cobalt, lol

The LS is a true econobox car, and doesnt have much for handling, but if you wanna keep the LS, i do believe these parts are on order:

*tires/wheels
*springs
*shocks
*struts
*strut tower bars

all decently cheaper mods, if you are talking higher budget, maybe redo the entire suspension system(but wait, didnt i already point out all the components other than sway bars????)

Cobaltkrazy: Turning aftermarket parts to dust, since 2006!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakdOut07LT View Post
ill be the DRUNKEST mofo there btw can someone keep an eye on my kid while i go get another beer?
How to post pics:
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...tml#post169806
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

i need a website or something to look at this stuff, and i already got rims and tires... im keeping the LS because i want the gas mileage, but i want to make it not seem like a boat about to overturn when i corner. will the SS suspension swap over no problem?

2008 Cobalt - Used to be a show car, now Daily Driver..
1994 Beretta Z26- Quad 4 5 speed W41 cammed 205 hp at the wheels. Too much to list..
1993 Beretta - Parts car

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Cobalt Master

i doubt it, it may, but i do believe the platforms for suspension are different between the two

Quote:
ill be the DRUNKEST mofo there btw can someone keep an eye on my kid while i go get another beer?
How to post pics:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
domin8

To start out I'd go with a strut bar. It will really stiffen your steering and allow you to corner better, but your rear will still feel like it "floats." I'd then get a rear sway bar. Turbo Tech Racing is about to release one. That should really help your steering become more neutral, however, if you want more I'd then install the front sway bar from the SS/SC into your car. Then look at lowering springs. Some LS owners have switched to SS/SC springs. Koni also offers some shocks.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Recarobalt_RLC Send a message via Yahoo to Recarobalt_RLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltkrazy View Post
i doubt it, it may, but i do believe the platforms for suspension are different between the two
they will fit... just shorter struts and springsthat are stiffer/shorter....

2006 red SS SC G85

60# injectors, colder plugs, new fuel wiring harness, zzp belt tentioner, zzp 2.6" pulley, GM Stage 2 belt, HPT Tuned, Ported SC, Ported intake mani, dual bypass valve, meth injection, Hurst!, Eibach sportlines, DC Strut bar.... and more!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8 View Post
To start out I'd go with a strut bar. It will really stiffen your steering and allow you to corner better, but your rear will still feel like it "floats." I'd then get a rear sway bar. Turbo Tech Racing is about to release one. That should really help your steering become more neutral, however, if you want more I'd then install the front sway bar from the SS/SC into your car. Then look at lowering springs. Some LS owners have switched to SS/SC springs. Koni also offers some shocks.
X2 on everything he said

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recarobalt_RLC View Post
they will fit... just shorter struts and springsthat are stiffer/shorter....
thanks for the clarification, i didnt know, so i left it open.

Quote:
How to post pics:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gibsonj4
Anti-roll kit from eibach FTW

2V Mustang GT - Cammed/Sprayed - The "Mustake" - Sold
2010 Cobalt 2LT - SOLD!
Chrysler 300C Hemi K&N & Tune
2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged - E85 TVS 2.9 - SOLD!
2001 Corvette C5 6MT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Forum Regular

Well the best thing I did was repalce the whole suspension. Struts, shocks and front sway bar from the SS/SC swap over. There is a whole assortment of springs to choose from depending on how low you want to go and how much you want to spend. check out the signature for the rest of the stuff.

2006 LS coupe, manual, Victory Red
Sportlines, FE5 struts, shocks, front swaybar, Progressive 22mm rear swaybar, Airlift load assist rear airbags, TWM ST shifter, smoothed TB, LSJ exhaust, debadged, demudflapped, Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's. Soon to come 17x7 Motegi Tracklight 1.0. Best to date 15.402 at 90mph

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode