Good Lowering Springs for 2010 Cobalt LT? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

 5Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 134
Good Lowering Springs for 2010 Cobalt LT?

So ive been looking around for a good drop on a cobalt lt coupe but i keep finding cobalt SS and ls sedans...are there any coupes that have lowering springs that are LT and LS if there are no differences. And a picture would be nice to go along with it
tjules8949 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
MP81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington Township, Michigan
Posts: 5,982
Garage
@Parthros and myself have SSC/CM springs - if you want one of the better-handling springs, but a bit more of a drop than the top-handling ones, those are the springs to get.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
MP81 is offline  
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Cobalt Master
 
rrob5382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,516
All cobalts use the same springs, doesn't matter coupe or sedan, ls Lt or ss. I love my yyz but they aren't that low and a bit pricey if you don't really care about having the best handling springs haha. How low do you want to go and how important is handling to you?
rrob5382 is online now  
 
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Expert
 
Parthros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 945
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
@Parthros and myself have SSC/CM springs - if you want one of the better-handling springs, but a bit more of a drop than the top-handling ones, those are the springs to get.
I'll back this up 100%. The ride is still plenty comfortable, while cornering performance was noticeably improved. I'd be surprised if you found better trade off between performance and comfort a comparable price.

YYZ's will handle better, and are probably plenty comfortable, but they cost quite a bit more, and don't give a very big drop. So if you want a drop, YYZ's probably not the way to go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Parthros is offline  
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
All cobalts use the same springs, doesn't matter coupe or sedan, ls Lt or ss. I love my yyz but they aren't that low and a bit pricey if you don't really care about having the best handling springs haha. How low do you want to go and how important is handling to you?
Low enough where i dont see so much wheel gap but still good handling as stock maybe better if possible

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthros View Post
I'll back this up 100%. The ride is still plenty comfortable, while cornering performance was noticeably improved. I'd be surprised if you found better trade off between performance and comfort a comparable price.

YYZ's will handle better, and are probably plenty comfortable, but they cost quite a bit more, and don't give a very big drop. So if you want a drop, YYZ's probably not the way to go.
How low did it drop your car? and i was currently looking at Eibach Pro-kit Lowering springs because they drop to about 1.6 in the front and 1.8 in the back i dont think i want more than that either because one guy told me i dont really need to change my shocks unless it goes lower than 2 inches which i dont have money for replacing one at the moment if it gets blown
tjules8949 is offline  
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
MP81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington Township, Michigan
Posts: 5,982
Garage
You'll need to change your shocks if you lower the car at all - you significantly reduce the lifespan of stock (FE1) shocks/struts.

The common (and cheap) upgrade is to go with '08+ SS/TC FE5 struts/shocks which handle the lowering springs just fine, and handle absolutely fantastic, as they were tuned by GM on Nuerburgring.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
MP81 is offline  
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
You'll need to change your shocks if you lower the car at all - you significantly reduce the lifespan of stock (FE1) shocks/struts.

The common (and cheap) upgrade is to go with '08+ SS/TC FE5 struts/shocks which handle the lowering springs just fine, and handle absolutely fantastic, as they were tuned by GM on Nuerburgring.
really? do you have a link or website i can go on that sells them or maybe one that you went to buy those shocks? that would be so helpful

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Also how long could my stock shocks last on the new lowered springs before they are damaged or destroyed?
tjules8949 is offline  
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Cobalt Master
 
rrob5382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,516
They are the oem shocks and struts on all 08-10 turbocharged cobalts, can get them on rockauto or Amazon for pretty cheap usually.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

They might last a little while, impossible to say and it depends on how good they are currently. I think I spent like 200 bucks total for all 4 shipped

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

My shocks and struts were almost completely junk though at 60k miles when I changed them, if you have relatively low miles on them you might be able to get away with running them for a little while but if they are getting up there in miles I just don't see them holding up very long
rrob5382 is online now  
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
They are the oem shocks and struts on all 08-10 turbocharged cobalts, can get them on rockauto or Amazon for pretty cheap usually.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

They might last a little while, impossible to say and it depends on how good they are currently. I think I spent like 200 bucks total for all 4 shipped

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

My shocks and struts were almost completely junk though at 60k miles when I changed them, if you have relatively low miles on them you might be able to get away with running them for a little while but if they are getting up there in miles I just don't see them holding up very long
Well considering mine has 117,000 miles almost 118,000 and when i drove it for 1,000 miles the clutch was blown and no reports of the prevoius owners changing anything to the car except oil change.... i would assume not even a mile and my cobalt isn't turbocharged. unless they fit whether or not i have a turbo or not
tjules8949 is offline  
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
MP81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington Township, Michigan
Posts: 5,982
Garage
Yeah, I wouldn't bother with even running them with lowering springs.

The struts/shocks fit all Cobalts without issue.

Cobalt FE5 Struts and Shock Pkg FE5-S

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
MP81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome