ABS Problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

ABS Problem

My wife came home the other night complaining about her brakes. She was driving home on the interstate and all of a sudden the traffic slowed in front of her and she had to get on the brakes. She said they were going "thunk, thunk, thunk..." and she said she didn't slow down very fast. Then every time after that for a while, they did the same thing even when slowing down normal and she had to stay way back for fear she wouldn't be able to slow down in time. Then, before she got home, they started working normal. She said she didn't see any dash lights like the ABS light on the dash. I scanned it for codes and it was clean.
I told her that was the normal ABS operation to keep the car from locking the brakes and going into a skid. I am not sure why it was doing it after the first hard stop when she was slowing normal, but it sounded like the ABS to me. She was skeptical.
I am wondering as well. What do you guys think?

I was thinking of going out on the highway and slamming on the brakes to test it. Good idea or bad idea? I would know if the "Thunk thunk thunk...." was indeed just the ABS and if it was working as designed. I just hate the thought of locking up brakes "on purpose".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Empty parking lot would be a better place, this way you can get out and check stuff. But you really need to verify for her safety.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
It's not really going to hurt the brakes, as long as you let them cool (with the car in park, or neutral, with your foot off the brake) properly, so you don't hot-spot the rotors (aka "warping" them).

How many miles are on the car? The ABS could be working properly - but if the brake fluid is old and gross, it's possible the brake pressure just isn't there.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

170,000 miles and the brake fluid is probably factory.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
??? GOD man get it serviced..... Putting out $100 here and there while running a vehicle should not be a shock.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 07-06-2016 at 01:52 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Ugghhhhh, OK. THanks fellas. I appreciate the help and nudge.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
170,000 miles and the brake fluid is probably factory.
Jesus, that's even worse than my 115k mile numbers-matching brake fluid () which has the compressive properties of silly putty and is a nice black color (instead of clear).

Brake fluid absorbs water over time, so it loses the ability to act like intended (since water compresses easier than brake fluid - this is also why bleeding your brakes is crucial, because air compresses even easier).

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

OK, so if I take it in, how much am I looking at to have the fluid replaced?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Say What again!

Garage
Do you have a shop or someone you take it to regularly that you trust? Some places might just tell you "Oh you need this flushed" when it's fine (my friend bought a Cobalt and a shop told him he should get the power steering fluid flushed - I quickly let him know our cars don't have power steering fluid, as we have EPS). Take a quick peek inside the master cylinder and A) make sure you see some fluid and B) check what color it is. When brake fluid needs to be replaced, it's usually not clear anymore.

So, with that, if you have a good shop/mechanic and they indeed agree it should be changed (they likely won't use the term "flush"), it shouldn't be more than $80-150, as it's not a very difficult job.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Alright thanks. I will look at it when She gets home. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode