Part List for a Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Part List for a Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Hi guys !

Does anybody have a part list for the rear disc brake conversion ? There's a guy selling a "complete kit" for 60$ near me and I wondered if his kit was really complete lol

I already know that he doesn't have the proportionning valve, so that's one thing I'll have to get...

Also, is it easy to DIY or should I get a mechanic to do it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Cobalt Master

Any pictures of this "kit?" Sounds to me like at best it's a set of calipers and rotors and maybe some lines. To do a factory disc swap you will need to swap the entire rear axle assembly. Also, if you are 4 lug you will either need to get the rotors redrilled for the 4 lug pattern or do a 5 lug swap which involves getting wheels, hubs, and rotors for the front as well. I'm not completely sure buy I think the caliper brackets for the front are different between 4 lug and 5 lug as well.
Another option would be the ssbc kit, you can get in 4 or 5 lug and it is essentially bolt on. Runs about $1300 I believe though
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

My Cobalt LT came with 5 lug wheels :P

And no I don't have any pictures :/

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Cobalt Master

Well that makes it a bit easier for you then, just need the loaded rear axle assembly and the proportioning valve. If you can find a car being parted out you could pick it all up fairly cheap
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Ok he sent me photos of the kit... Looks rusty :/ well it's 60$ so I shouldn't expect brand new stuff but still...

Rear axle and front knuckles
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Cobalt Master

Looks like it's just surface rust anyways, and you don't need any of the stuff for the front. Wouldn't take too much to clean up that rear axle though and for 60 bucks I would take it haha. Shouldn't be that hard to come across a proportioning valve if it's not included. I would probably at least do new pads and rotors though. And as far as doing it yourself or taking it to a shop, that depends on your mechanical ability but it's essentially only a couple of bolts and rather the brake lines so it's not too bad of a job.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Ok, I think I'll take it will practice my rust removing skillz lol also this axle is from an SS/SC, so it's an FE5 suspension part, right ? I thought about doing the rear-disc brake conversion plus FE5 conversion all at once since it involves messing in the same area of the car :P
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Cobalt Master

If it's all lsj then I guess you would be better off swapping front brakes as well haha, and yes swapping that you will already at least have the rear shocks and springs off so it would be a perfect time to swap it. And it looks like it's just surface rust so I wouldn't be too worried. Just get it cleaned up nicely and p as it it
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I don't think the rotors and calipers are from an LSJ though :/ doesn't look like Brembos to me :P
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:48 AM
Cobalt Master

Lsj didn't have brembos, only lnf did. Lsj still had slightly bigger brakes than the Lt though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode