tires - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

tires

hey im ordering a new set of tires for my stock 15in steelies and i was curious what size you guys have gone or wut i should go with. Right now i think im going with 205/60/15 ZE-912 or possibly even a 215/60/15 for a wider tire patch. the stock tires are 195/60/15 so basically my question is should i up the size one or two? will the 215 be too wide for my stock wheel? crowning and such or has someone already done this? thanks guys

2007 LS Cobalt/ 5 speed
Tsudo Cat-Back
Injen CAI Silver
DC Sports CS-1 Strut Tower Bar
Eibach Sportline springs
Eibach 29mm Front Sway Bar
Eibach 25mm Rear Sway Bar
Moog Sway Bar Links
Konig 17in light weight wheels-17lbs each
225/45/17 Kuhmo Ecsta AST
Dojo weighted shift knob
5% tint
Debadged
Blacked out GM option front grill
08 Kicker Comp 12in/ 08 Lightning 150.2 amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Forum Regular

I went with Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's because I'm figuring on getting 17's and just wanted a good cheap tire for the winter. 205's would give you a little wider contact patch and make the tire a little taller. 215/60R15's would be about half an inch taller than stock so now your looking at a speedo difference of about 3 mph faster than displayed at 60 mph. Not to mention the extra weight of a larger tire.

2006 LS coupe, manual, Victory Red
Sportlines, FE5 struts, shocks, front swaybar, Progressive 22mm rear swaybar, Airlift load assist rear airbags, TWM ST shifter, smoothed TB, LSJ exhaust, debadged, demudflapped, Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's. Soon to come 17x7 Motegi Tracklight 1.0. Best to date 15.402 at 90mph

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Expert

Theres nothing wrong with the Pirellis that come on them stock. Maybe you dont have those, but either way unless your tires are bald there is no reason to get new tires, especially when you have the stock rims. Save your money and get some wheels. Otherwise your throwing your money away.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

my car did not come with the parelli's( i wish it did) i have the LS with the continental crap tires. Im lookin into the Falkan ZE912's 205/60/15 so hopefully it will handle better and offer more traction. plus there $220 for all four shipped

2007 LS Cobalt/ 5 speed
Tsudo Cat-Back
Injen CAI Silver
Eibach Sportline springs
Moog Sway Bar Links
Dojo weighted shift knob
5% tint
Debadged
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ls sport View Post
my car did not come with the parelli's( i wish it did) i have the LS with the continental crap tires. Im lookin into the Falkan ZE912's 205/60/15 so hopefully it will handle better and offer more traction. plus there $220 for all four shipped
Either way i think you're wasting your money. You need to be honest with yourself and what your needs are. Unless you are pushing your car through some serious track work there is no reason to upgrade your tires right now, especially when there are plenty of other things you could think of with 220 bucks. Save it for some new wheels, and maybe then think about upgrading tires. If all you do is daily driving with some lead foot from time to time, i promise your stock tires are going to work fine.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Forum Regular

Tires are arguably the most important part of any performance performance tuned suspension or drivetrain for that matter. Even the best coilovers and lightest wheels will suck with Costo econo tires.

My parents called to tell me my G-force sports got to their house today, I am going to use their garage over spring break to leave the car on jack stands while I powdercoat the wheels and get the new tires mounted.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

i see what your saying but my tires are bald and need replacing so i cant just leave the stocks on. And i dont want wheels, ive seen too many people on this site get rims and it looks like a truck if they didnt drop it. i do not want to drop my car idc that much, this is my daily driver that i horse around with occasionally on the weekends. I was just debating sizes since i HAVE to put tires on anyway. I would like the best bang for my buck since im not putting wheels on or lowering the car. Thanks for all your imputs. I bought a set of 912's 205/60/15 and hopefully they will work out nicely for me

2007 LS Cobalt/ 5 speed
Tsudo Cat-Back
Injen CAI Silver
Eibach Sportline springs
Moog Sway Bar Links
Dojo weighted shift knob
5% tint
Debadged
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Veteran

My dealer said to make sure the new tires have the same TPC Spec number that is on the OEM tire. I had no idea until the dealer mentioned it to me.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
My dealer said to make sure the new tires have the same TPC Spec number that is on the OEM tire. I had no idea until the dealer mentioned it to me.
Rule number 1, don't listen to anything the dealer tells you. Rule number 2, don't listen to anything the dealer tells you. They told me the Cobalt had a "V4" engine...lol, that is really pathetic.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBalt View Post
Rule number 1, don't listen to anything the dealer tells you. Rule number 2, don't listen to anything the dealer tells you. They told me the Cobalt had a "V4" engine...lol, that is really pathetic.
No shit man. A dealer will tell you absolutely anything to get you to pay them to do shit for you. They will lie through their teeth all day long if it makes them money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode