Clunking Noise Over Bumps - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Clunking Noise Over Bumps

Hey everyone, recently bought a 2009 cobalt ls with 140,000 miles. It makes a clunking sound when hitting bumps and the sound is right at the wheel. I've had several mechanics try to find it, parts replaced are struts, control arms, and steering intermediate shaft, none of which have decreased the noise any. I recently ordered sway bar bushings and end links that I will have installed soon, hopefully that will fix it. It really can't be much else because many parts have been replaced. All mechanics say everything is tight. Also, the check engine light just came on with p0010, p0101, and p102 codes. Any ideas what could be causing the suspension noise? Also, thoughts on what could be causing all of those engine codes at the same time? My mechanic says probably a broken wire or bad ground.

Last edited by chiaronate; 12-04-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If the swaybar bushings and endlinks have never been changed you can be sure they're no good with that mileage.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

You could have blown a fuse, check under hood fuse block. P0010 is a code for your intake cam actuator and P0101, P0102 are MAF sensor codes maybe brought on by the first code.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

OK thanks, if it is not either of those I don't know what else it can be. I'm really glad these cars don't have all the different suspension parts that the newer German cars have, that would be a lot more expensive to throw parts at.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Cam shaft actuator is cheap enough and easily changed. From then on make sure oil changes are done on time and keep the oil topped up.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

OK great, that's good to know. Is GM's computer alright to rely upon for oil changes? I normally do 5,000 mile intervals, but I'll just follow the computer if that is reliable. Also, the transmission fluid is supposed to not require changing, but I imagine there is a limit. I'm currently at 142,000 miles and was wondering if any of you have a preference for manual transmission fluid types?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Contributor

For manual tranny in your 09 LS/LT. Dextron Mercron auto tranny fluid. Not too hard to change out. Need minimal tools but need a modified alen to acess the drain plug. There are good articles on line with good images showing how. https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/mai...ion-fluid.html
Agree with Coby7 about sway bar bushings. Just did all you posted about. Sway bar bushings were the last item. Ant it solved the noise.
Find posts here on clunk clunk https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/mai...visited-2.html

Last edited by 1966tbird; 12-04-2016 at 08:13 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
And only use oil monitor if you are using synthetic oil. Stick with 3000 miles intervals on conventional oil.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaronate View Post
Hey everyone, recently bought a 2009 cobalt ls with 140,000 miles. It makes a clunking sound when hitting bumps and the sound is right at the wheel. I've had several mechanics try to find it, parts replaced are struts, control arms, and steering intermediate shaft, none of which have decreased the noise any. I recently ordered sway bar bushings and end links that I will have installed soon, hopefully that will fix it. It really can't be much else because many parts have been replaced. All mechanics say everything is tight. Also, the check engine light just came on with p0010, p0101, and p102 codes. Any ideas what could be causing the suspension noise? Also, thoughts on what could be causing all of those engine codes at the same time? My mechanic says probably a broken wire or bad ground.
Try checking or replacing the steering shaft.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

So just regular automatic transmission fluid then in the manual transmissions? That's basically what the recommended gear oil is from GM? I didn't know I had all of these replies, I thought I changed the settings to notify me when I get replies on here. Well it turned out to be the swaybar bushings making that clunking sound, so I have that done. Problem is one of the original end links had to be put back on because the threads on one of the new links stripped. The company I bought them from is sending me out another one, and I'll be using my tap and die set to go over the threads before having it installed.

Last edited by chiaronate; 12-09-2016 at 10:22 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The problem is usually the crushed locking flange nut that's too crushed. I usually discard these nuts and replace with a Stainless Steel lock washer and Stainless Steel flange nut. Then you can take it apart if you need to without cutting with torches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode