Burning Smell And Possible Leak Left Front Tire - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Burning Smell And Possible Leak Left Front Tire

Hey All, my first post here and I'm very greatful for any and all help. We just bought our 2009 ls 2 months ago from my girlfriend's parents. I know that they took very good care of it and put very little daily mileage on it. We needed the car to move for a job offer in another province and have already put approx 4,000km (or 2500 miles) on it. An oil change was done just before we bought it and we just got another one a week ago.

On returning from a long trip a few days ago I began to notice a burning smell from the left front tire. Smells like maybe burning metal or possibly oil? There might also possibly be a fluid leak around the same area but i haven't had the chance to make certain yet. I asked a couple people who seemed knowledgeable about cars, they took a sniff and said it was normal in the cold after a long trip for the brakes/wheels to smell. But I just took a very short trip right now and again the same smell. I have not noticed any difference in braking power or responsiveness.

Any ideas? And if it needs repair any estimates how much it should be? (I don't know any mechanics at all in the area and want to make sure i get a fair deal)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Could be just a seized calliper or calliper pin.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you. Yes from what I've read I was thinking that. Do you have any idea how much that might cost to fix?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Expert

Garage
Caliper pins are like $8-15 tops, and it's really a very simple procedure to do the job yourself.

I followed this guide when I did my own brakes for the very first time on my Cobalt. Super simple stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode