Hand Brake Not Ratcheting/Loose Handle - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hand Brake Not Ratcheting/Loose Handle

I only saw one thread from 2012 in my research of this website with regard to hand brake problems. Specifically, the hand brake won't ratchet or hold. I thought I would join this site to share my experience. Thus, this is my first post. Please see my Dropbox link. I have attached a few pics which are pretty explanatory. I forgot to take a pic of the gear that fell out. Thus, I copied the pic from the other forum of the gear in question. Essentially, the gear fits back into the handle assembly much like a puzzle piece. You will need a large, straight-slot screwdriver to pry it back into place. Be sure you are pushing in the release button on the handle to lift the stop to allow the gear the necessary room to slide back into its slot. I cannot determine if there is anything that actually secures it in place other than its snug fit. Also, one pic shows a 12mm open-end wrench I used to push down the tabs to remove the cable housings from the bracket assembly. It took me about 40-45 minutes to complete the repair.

If my link doesn't post properly, please let me know and I can send the pics via email. Good luck, Troy.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3jtp3burq...jtLS0KRTa?dl=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Expert

Garage
Thanks for sharing! The link works just fine for me, and if you're ever worried about it expiring, you could also upload the images to imgur & link to that album/post IMG tags in-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well, four months later, the gear popped out again. This time, it would not remain in its slot. Seems there's a bit of wear and tear and replacement is inevitable. I purchased one on GMPartsDirect.com, part number 25999926 for $96.91 plus shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode