Lowering Springs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MP81
  • 1 Post By Parthros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Lowering Springs

I have a 2010 Cobalt LS and i am thinking about lowering it, its pretty high. If i get a set of lowering springs should i upgrade my shocks as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
It is imperative that you upgrade your struts/shocks with lowering springs. The FE1 (stock LS/LT suspension package) will handle the lowering springs, but will not last very long.

The long-standing recommendation would be to use the 2008+ SS/TC FE5 struts and shocks. They're extremely affordable, sometimes even cheaper than the stock FE1 struts/shocks, and you're upgrading to suspension that was developed and tested on Nürburgring.

The Powell YYZ springs are by far the best handling ones out there (short of coilovers), but they sit right around stock SS height. If you want a lower drop, but still maintaining excellent ride and handling, I highly recommend the SSC springs. I've run SSC springs and FE5 struts/shocks for about 6 years, and have been very happy with them - both in daily driving (including a few winters) as well as Autocrossing.
Parthros likes this.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 AM
Expert

Garage
As @MP81 said, dampers are a must. He and I both went with the stock FE5 (SS/TC) struts & shocks, which are available on Amazon. If you can find an "Amazon Warehouse Deal," those are usually damaged packaging but new parts. That's how I got my struts & they've been holding up quite well.

For the springs, I got Canuck Motorsports because they're cheap and surprisingly very good quality. They're the same company who makes the SSC springs that are available on ZZP's website, but for less money. I've been on them for around a year now, and they've been treating me well.

Product Links:
FE5 SS/TC Driver Side Strut
FE5 SS/TC Passenger Side Strut
FE5 SS/TC Rear Shocks (Need 2)
Canuck Motorsport Springs
MP81 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:10 AM
Newcomer

Where does one purchase said SSC springs from? I also have a '10 LT that I will be upgrading springs and stunts/shocks on.
Thanks

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode