Is It Possible to Install Cobalt SS Turbo Front Brembo Brakes on the Cobalt LT 2.2 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Is It Possible to Install Cobalt SS Turbo Front Brembo Brakes on the Cobalt LT 2.2

Hey everyone, I saw a few threads of people wanting to do conversions from stock Cobalt LT/LS and even SS/NA or Supercharged brakes to the Brembo Front calipers the Cobalt SS Turbos have. I think my cobalt has crappy braking to begin with and thought it might be a possibility to switch over to the brembos with the right equipment.

Basically if anyone has done this or knows of it can you please tell me from the stock brakes if I need new lines, a hub spacer, and if it would be possible to keep the 4 lug nuts as opposed to switching to the standard 5. I just got new rims and tires that are 4 bolt only so I wouldn't do the conversion to have to change my rims out again.

Just looking to improve braking in the front mainly and thought new bigger calipers would do the trick if they work with my car.

Thanks - TIMMAE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Cobalt Master

It's possible to do the switch, you would need the lines and spacers and brackets and what not. You would also need longer wheel studs. As far as keeping 4 lug, you could but you would have to have some rotors drilled for the bolt pattern

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

With that said, unless you track your car it really probably wouldn't be worth it. A good set of pads and rotors is all you need. Never had any issues with the stock brakes
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Not sure the 15'' would clear the Brembos unless you move everything from the SS suspension front and rear Including the proportioning valve.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Thanks guys for the help and info on this. I have had a impala SS for a few years that I recently sold two years ago and from going now to just driving my cobalt all the time the braking I feel needs a upgrade. I know especially on the highways the braking just isn't where I'd like it to be to be safe when going 70 + and a smart car cuts you off only doing 40 lol not cool.

I will have to think about how much this would cost and if it really would be worth it.

Thanks - Tim
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I do believe the minimum you can run with the Brembos would be 17s. A friend of mine has a set of Saab 9-3 wheels on his SS/TC right now, and that is a tiiiight fitment.
Parthros likes this.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Cobalt Master

Forgot about that part haha yeah some 17s will fit fine but others might need spacers
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
That would be great if mine would be able to fit. They are Konig 17x7 4x100 Offset 40 millimeters Backspace 5.57 inches Bore Diameter 73.1 millimeters.

I wouldn't mind putting a spacer on them to fit inline with the caliper and rotor.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Say What again!

Garage
The stock 18s are a +42, so you have a couple mm extra there for brake clearance, but since it is a smaller wheel, you'll still have to test fit them (with redrilled rotors) to ensure they do clear the calipers.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Sounds like a plan hopefully in the next month or so I can see about getting them and what the all around costs would be.

Thanks everyone for your help ! I really appreciate it and glad I asked on here first
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Just to confirm, these are the Saab 9-3 wheels my buddy is running with his snow tires on his SS/TC

They are a 17x7.5" wheel, +41mm offset. Obviously, spoke design does play a part, but 17s with that amount of positive offset (or ideally, less) should clear.

I really do wish I could find a brake rotor that has a 4x100 pattern that would be close-enough (or identical) to the 5-lug rotor used with the Brembos. Would make for a much cheaper swap for myself to retain 4-lug.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode