Tire Pressure Issue? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Parthros
  • 1 Post By 1966tbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Tire Pressure Issue?

Hello,

I recently received a 2010 cobalt ls from my parents and when you start the car it always displays "Service Tire Monitor System" on the DIC. Before I received the vehicle, they took it to a Chevy dealer where they couldn't figure out what was causing the issue because all the sensors are good and the tires are properly inflated. Has anyone experienced this before? I have never owned a vehicle with tpms before so this is all new to me. It's just annoying looking at that on the dash but I'll survive.

oh and the car is just the base ls model, no cruise or power locks/windows etc.

thanks much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Expert

Garage
Could just be low battery in the TPMS sensors. If I remember right, the batteries are technically not serviceable, so you're "supposed" to get new sensors all around, then do a re-learn on them.
JOETOGO90 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Contributor

Oh the tire shops are proud of that job. If you can wait until itís time to get new tires. Then itís a no charge for the installation other than the price of the monitor.
Then again. The Body Control Module may have gotten upset. What trim level is your car and do you have remote door locks?

I think Coby7 said there is an after market screw on at your local parts house. They screw on to your tire air valves just like the screw on caps.

Iím sure any tire store could help you with them. eBay has them in the $10-$20 each range.
Also, your local GM dealer may not be working as hard as he can on a freebie.

Take a peek at
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...a4849/4336449/

I found some External TPMS sensors on eBay for under $10 each listed @433.92MHz which is good for 2017 TPMS system yet I found 2016 uses a 315MHz sensor. Gm part number 13598772. We are learning something here.
JOETOGO90 likes this.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 02-21-2018 at 10:19 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for all the help!! I honestly think now it's probably just one of the TPMS sensors. I don't know if my parents misunderstood the dealership or what lol but when I get in the car and turn it on, the TPMS light blinks a few times and the warning displays on the DIC. So after that, I hit the info button to clear the message and the tire pressure for the left front reads --. So i'm thinking it might be one of the sensors? The tires are pretty new so I won't mess with it right now if that's the case. My car is a 2010 ls with no power locks. I was surprised to see a 2010 without power anything lol! I love this car though!

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

I also forgot to mention I read the warning message wrong. It actually says "SYNC" instead of service as I mentioned above.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If it says Sync, I wonder if someone didn't finish the TPMS sync process...

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode