Megan Racing Lowering Springs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Megan Racing Lowering Springs

Hey everyone. I just installed new lower control arms and decided to lower the car as well. I go the Megan Racing ones and when I installed them, I had some issues. First, the rear springs didn't make contact from top to bottom when car was lifted with jacks. They just sag there. I had to have my dad lower the car while I used a hockey stick to keep the springs straight up and down so the car would lower correctly onto them. Second issue, the front springs just sit in the struts when there is no pressure on them (AKA, anytime the car is lifted or the shocks/struts and taken off of car). So every time I lift the front of the car I have to re align the springs to make sure the car sits on them correctly. AFTER that mess I took the car in to get a front end alignment. I was charged 180 dollars for ONE camber bolt on the right side and the alignment. They said for both camber bolts it would have been 260 dollars. They charge 60 dollars for the pair of camber bolts (they only used one so didn't charge me full 60 dollars). The camber bolt package online was anywhere from 15-30 dollars MAX. The tech said the reason the springs don't touch top to bottom when the car is jacked is because they are cheap springs. He said ones made in the USA will be the same size of the OEM springs but just a different spring rate. He also said I can't hit any pot holes otherwise the camber bolt would loosen out of alignment. I live on a street with literally 30 potholes and manholes. HAS anyone had these issues with those springs, or any springs in general?? Sorry for the long post but I need help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Expert

Garage
I'm on Canuck Motorsport springs, which are a significant but not huge drop, and I haven't had any issues. If you could post any pictures, maybe there's something we could see as the problem? Could also be that the springs are simply too much of a drop for the stock struts & shocks.

By the way, do you have a base model (LS, LT, LTE, XFE), and if so are you still on the stock struts & shocks? I ask because the FE3 struts & shocks (from the base model) do not handle lowering springs well at all. It's important to get the FE5 (Cobalt SS Turbo) struts & shocks when getting lowering springs. If you need them, I've listed Amazon product links below:

FE5 Driver Side Strut

FE5 Passenger Side Strut

FE5 Rear Shocks (Need 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

Last edited by Parthros; 03-08-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alignment , camber , lowering springs , megan racing , springs