Rear brake upgrade - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Rear brake upgrade

I've got some nice brakes upfront(definitely need an upgrade eventually) but my rear brakes are stock and they're pretty rusty.

Im not sure where to go for them so any ideas on what I should change to would be great. I'm pretty sure they're brake drums. Could I do a disc brake conversion or is it not worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, your rears are definitely drums.

So, because they are 4-lugs, it makes it a bit more difficult - I have had trouble deciding what I want to do on mine, as far as brakes go, for years now.

The easiest thing to do, probably would be to leave them, and make sure you have a decent rotor and good pads (like a Hawk HPS, EBS, etc) up front. The rear brakes don't do much, so just making sure your drums and shoes are good would really be the easiest thing.

That said, you have a few other options, if you really see the need to switch to discs. You can swap everything to 5 lug (front hubs, rear hubs - and the rear torsion beam) and then purchase a take-off set of SS/TC Brembos. You can do the same thing, but retain 4-lug, but you'll have to redrill rotors. SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Systems) sells a rear disc conversion, and correspondingly larger front brakes as well that are made for 4-lug cars. I've looked into these before, but I've never found any solid evidence on the quality or how well they actually perform, but you would not need a new torsion beam, or to do a 5-lug conversion.

What are your plans for the car? Do you intend to AutoX or Road Race the car, or just drive it mostly on the street? If it is the latter, rear disc brakes probably won't do much more than look pretty, as drums work pretty well at regular speeds (unless you're doing repeated hard stops, that is where the far-superior heat dissapation of disc brakes comes into play).

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Primarily road racing as I haven't researched much I guess. The reason I said rear brakes is because I was inspecting them and I see some yellow liquid on them. I assume that's bad. I guess if I get this car to a good level I'd consider other plans for it.

But primarily just road racing. I'm trying to do as much of the labor work on the car as possible.

Ever since I got my hub centric rings my car doesnt stop on the dot anymore.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yellow liquid?

Hub-centric rings shouldn't have changed how the car stops, only ensures the wheel doesn't vibrate...

If you could, can you get a pic of said liquid?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Yes it's still dark where I am so I'll get some during my work lunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode