Import Wars, SE WI, GLD Dragaway - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Tales From The Strip Talk about your races at the track

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Import Wars, SE WI, GLD Dragaway

First Import Wars of the year is April 18th at GLD. Gates open at 9 am, a few hours of time trials and a few rounds (2-3) of qualifying for faster classes.

Class info:
Super Street (400 series)Information:
1/4 mile: 15.00 seconds and higher
$45 Entrance fee
Payout
1. 1st: $200
2. 2nd: $100
3. 3rd: $50
Single elimination bracket racing
This class is usually filled with daily driven cars and where a lot of racers start out.

Super Mod (600 series)
1/4 mile: 13.00 - 14.99 seconds
$45 Entrance fee
Payout
1. 1st: $200
2. 2nd: $100
This class is usually filled with modified street cars.

Super Quick (800 series)
1/4 mile: 12.99 seconds and lower
$65 Entrance fee
Payout
1. 1st: $350
2. 2nd: $150
This class is filled with highly modified street and trailer cars.
You must dial-in within 0.20 seconds of your qualifying time.

Pro-FWD (500 series)
1/4 mile: any
$65 Entrance fee
Payout
1. 1st: $350
2. 2nd: $150
Heads up racing
Open to ALL Front wheel drive import/sport compact vehicles and is limited to one power adder.

Pro-Outlaw
1/4 mile: any
$65 Entrance fee
Winner takes the pot.
Heads up racing
Open to any and all Import/Sport Compact door vehicles.

It's lots of fun, you don't need a fast car to race, Super Street has an old guy that runs his auto 2.4L PT Cruiser. Dials in around 18.00 when he's off the bottle. You don't even need to be all that good for the slower classes, just cutting a .250 or better r/t and staying within .200 seconds of your dial-in can net you a few wins. So none of these "I suck at bracket racing" excuses I always here from friends that don't go. You gotta practice, most of the other guys suck too.

They keep track of points throughout the year, and give out trophies at end of year as well as weekly payouts. You'll see alot of the same people at each race, they are all pretty cool people. Last year it was a rather low turnout but the year before each class had over 10 cars in them. I'll be attending all 7 this year in my Barney purple Neon. Only made it to 3 or 4 last year but managed to get 2nd overall in points in the Super Street class (2nd year in a row).

Here's all the dates:

April 18
May 16
June 20
July 11
Aug 22
Sept 12
Oct 17

PM me with any questions, or here's the website:

Great Lakes Dragaway - Import Wars (still has last years stuff up, they are the slowest website to update stuff)

Hondaddy.com Import Wars Forums • Index page (This is a site that someone started to get people involved and answer questions, it's almost soley for Import Wars guys).

I like Neons, somebody help me :(

Black 96 Dodge Neon coupe. Still dead.

Barney purple 97 Neon coupe. Quick and gay looking. 13.379 @ 101.07 mph. N/A, full interior, pump gas, slicks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

It's a week from today. Where are all the SE WI and Chicagoland Cobalts at? I know there will be lots of douchebags there in their Hondas doing burnouts in the gravel again. I'll be coming with between 0 and 10 people (everyone seems to cancel day of while I'm waiting), some Neons, some Honda's.

Let's see some Cobalts! Only Cobalt I've seen there was a red SS/SC with all kinds of stickers on it (including a NOS one) and he was running low 15's!

Barney purple 97 Neon coupe. Quick and gay looking. 13.379 @ 101.07 mph. N/A, full interior, pump gas, slicks.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Sneezing Daily
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I might show up to the april 18th one, only hondas though? really?[/I]

M62 Powered for Now

S252 Next (Car is gonna be fast and Sneezing, lots!)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINKS07SS View Post
I might show up to the april 18th one, only hondas though? really?[/I]
They make up most of the cars that show up (and generally make up 100% of the douche bags). There are a few Caviliers (3 ecotec ones that almost always come, yellow one and a black one, and a SC red one). I usually show up, always in a Neon, but which one I bring varies.

Looks like a bunch of people will be coming from Madison/Baraboo. 3 Neons, a Stratus R/T, sentra spec v, infiniti m30. Maybe a CRX, Slobalt SS, and a TA for some reason.

The more cars that show up, the more fun it is. There are usually some pretty fast Hondas/VW's there, I think a buddy is coming from Schaumburg area with a 9-second Neon if it's done.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Had fun, brought several people along. One guy won $100, another won $50. Neither had ever drag raced before. All of us were in the slow bracket.

I ran a 14.665 @ 93.85 mph on first pass of day, then couldn't hit 14's again that day.

There was a black Cobalt SS turbo charged with Hahn piping/intercooler running mid 13's. First time I'd ever seen a Cobalt run faster than 14.7!

Next race is May 16th, another Sunday.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Sneezing Daily
Staff Alumni

Garage
When do they normally start going on? or People start to show up.

M62 Powered for Now

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran

Garage
I might try to make this.....never done anything like this before but it sounds like a fun time!

Mods:
Aeroforce Interceptor gauge, Eibach Sportlines, De-badged, 140 mph White Face Gauge Cluster, Silver Star Ultra Headlights, Injen CAI, CF Dash Trim, 5 Spoke Rims, Eibach 25mm Rear Sway bar, SS Upper Grille, Painted Black Bowtie, DC Sports Carbon Strut Bar, Injen Hydro-shield, Emergency Brake Boot, Blue Powdercoated Valve Cover, Black Dash & Center Council, Tsudo Catback, ZZP Downpipe.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Veteran

Garage
Anyone from WI going?

Mods:
Aeroforce Interceptor gauge, Eibach Sportlines, De-badged, 140 mph White Face Gauge Cluster, Silver Star Ultra Headlights, Injen CAI, CF Dash Trim, 5 Spoke Rims, Eibach 25mm Rear Sway bar, SS Upper Grille, Painted Black Bowtie, DC Sports Carbon Strut Bar, Injen Hydro-shield, Emergency Brake Boot, Blue Powdercoated Valve Cover, Black Dash & Center Council, Tsudo Catback, ZZP Downpipe.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Sneezing Daily
Staff Alumni

Garage
Hey rayray, you going to the car show on May 2nd at NWTC in Green Bay? I hear its a good turnout, I will be there and so will a couple of other cobalt owners I know.

M62 Powered for Now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode