Drag Racing Dragsteers, Lol - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Tales From The Strip Talk about your races at the track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Drag Racing Dragsteers, Lol

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter, 'twin-turbo' powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course. lol hahahahaha

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully-loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock, Dodge Hemi, V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger. With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg. F. Nitro methane burns yellow... The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen,
dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

lol, just thought I'd share, I'm bored or **** !

07 G5 GT

Cherry's Tree

Randy
Now serving Boost
272whp 276wtq @10psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

Wow. That certainly got my attention
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Contributor

Garage
haha epic boredom post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will mpg View Post
I think that is the plan....

"Hey let's switch out Megan Fox for Jack Black. No one will notice that." lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Cool story bro

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
That's awesome.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Veteran

Garage
gotta say, you're boredom post led to me getting amusement, hence removing some of my boredom, so...THANKS!!!!

My 'Balt, Camryn, is my baby. She's a black '09 LT 2.2L with the performance appearance package. I believe that if you take care of your car your car will take care of you.
Currently: Predator Pedals, GM logos gone, blacked out bowties, green interior neons, green LEDGlow, 2x 12" Kicker L7's subwoofer, kicker speakers, Pioneer avic f700bt, Konig Unkown's (17's), Tints

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
And that is why I <3 Dragsters.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode