Import Wars 2011, Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, WI - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Tales From The Strip Talk about your races at the track

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Import Wars 2011, Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, WI

Dates have been released:

April 17
May 22
June 12
July 17
August 21
September 11
October 16

All races are on sundays. Gates generally open around 7 or 8 am. Time trials start around 10 am. Eliminations start between 1 and 2 pm.

Bracket style racing for cars that run 13.00 and slower. There are also heads up classes for faster cars. They may change up some classes this year so I'll post when I find out.

Chances to win money. I got probably $500 last year in winnings in 5 races. Basically covered gas, entry fees, and food. If you wanna make a profit while racing, you need to rethink that idea.

Also has season long points totals. Don't really win much yet, used to get trophies. But bragging rights are cool. Most of the people are regulars so there's competition all year with same people.

I plan on going 2nd weekend in April (9th and 10th) to get some practice in and dial in the new setup. First week in april is opening weekend and they have cheaper racing.

Anybody that is interested, feel free to pm me.

There was a black turbo Cobalt at one race last year that was running 13.7's or so, pretty clean looking. Let's get some more there.

If you've never been to the track before, that's not a problem. I'm willing to help any new people (even if you drive a Cobalt) learn. Odds are you'll make mistakes and look stupid, I staged my back tires first time I went like 5 years ago. Nobody showed me what to do so I learned the hard way lol.

If you've never bracket raced, don't worry either. I can explain the rules. Not too difficult once you figure out the concept.

I also got $20 for any Cobalt that runs faster than this car:

Don't worry, it's not boosted.

I like Neons, somebody help me :(

Black 96 Dodge Neon coupe. Still dead.

Barney purple 97 Neon coupe. Quick and gay looking. 13.379 @ 101.07 mph. N/A, full interior, pump gas, slicks.

Last edited by CDizzle; 03-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Updated class info has been posted. Slightly different than last year:

SUPER MOD - Entry Fee $45
* Import or Sport Compact Domestic cars only
* 13.00 and Slower
...* Bracket Style Racing
* Automatically entered into Year Long Points Series

SUPER QUICK - Entry Fee $65
* Import or Sport Compact Domestic cars only
* 12.99 and Faster
* 3 Rounds of Qualifying
* Bracket Style Racing
* Must dial with 0.20 of quailfying time

PRO - STREET - Entry Fee $65
* Open to any and all import/sport compact cars
* FWD/RWD/AWD allowed
* One Headlight/One Taillight Required
* Stock Firewall
* Slicks allowed
* NO full out race cars
* NO wheelie bars
* Heads up racing
* 3 Rounds of Qualifying
* Limited to ONE power adder

$200 for class winner, $100 for runner up, $50 for semi-finals as of now. May go up with attendance.

Barney purple 97 Neon coupe. Quick and gay looking. 13.379 @ 101.07 mph. N/A, full interior, pump gas, slicks.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 07:24 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
you won with a neon? lol. unforunately i won't drive 7 hours one way just to do this.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBalt View Post
you won with a neon?
It's bracket racing, it's not about the fastest car, it's about consistent driving. The fastest car usually ends up being the guy with the most money, which isn't fun for 99% of people out there. It's divided up into classes, so all cars 13.00 seconds and slower are grouped together. You pick your dial-in time (what you think you can consistently run without going faster). When you race someone, the person with the slower dial-in gets a headstart. Example:

Car A dials in at 15.00
Car B dials in at 14.50

Car A gets a green light .50 seconds earlier. If both cars run a perfect run (.000 reaction time and both run right on their dial), they will cross finish line at exact same time. Obviously that never happens so the car that crosses finish line first without red-lighting or running faster than dial-in time wins.

Once you get it, it's pretty simple.

And as for the Neon, I'm pretty sure it'd walk most Cobalts on here and would keep up with most of the the boosted ones or beat them...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Sneezing Daily
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think I might do this, not much experience with bracket style racing though...

Can I have the 20 dollars?

M62 Powered for Now

S252 Next (Car is gonna be fast and Sneezing, lots!)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINKS07SS View Post
I think I might do this, not much experience with bracket style racing though...

Can I have the 20 dollars?
If you beat my purple car, sure.

Come on down, I'll be happy to answer any questions about bracket racing. Several friends last year had never been to the track and picked it up pretty quickly. Don't use it as an excuse not to try it out.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Sneezing Daily
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Alright this will be my first time there both with my car, and with the new turbo kit installed.

M62 Powered for Now

S252 Next (Car is gonna be fast and Sneezing, lots!)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Sounds good. I'll have a new setup this year, shooting for high 12's n/a. Probably won't hit it right away. usually get faster towards end of summer.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to kstorm61
Wekk with Kyle helping me i should be stage 3 all ZZP parts by the beging or middle of summer. so I hope i do decent lol. hope to have my tune by then

zzp 2.9 pulley simmeons 60lb injectors stage 2 gm belt zzp wire harness Bkr7e 1 step plugs S3 Heat exchanger zzp dual pass end plate 3in down pipe mid length header sport tech Cai hi flow cat Wideban gauge zzp can tune.

more mods to come in the future

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
ive seen your neon there last years import wars. i will probly attending but not racing. and i was supposed to go this friday for the spectactor fee racing. but weather is lookin sad.

05 Base Model 5 Speed Coupe 2.2L.SUPERCHARGED M62. K&N lsj CAI. TSUDO cb CA 3 in catted downpipe. Bad-Mab Shorty header. ottp stage 1 h/e 55watt 12000K HID's.Sportline lowering springs. Pioneer Deck /w Boston Speakers/ polk dxi sub. Shorty Antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode