P1810 Code / Occasional Hard Shift - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

P1810 Code / Occasional Hard Shift

I had a P1810 code show up, (P1810 Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Position Switch Circuit TCM)
I read a little about it, and I don't know much about cars, so I hope to get some info before having a mechanic tell me something beyond the real problem.

I noticed a harder shifting occasionally (but I read about this online). curious though, would this problem be associated along with this issue i'm having. when I press the break, the lock disengages in the automatic shifter to allow it to move out of park. Normally in drive, when you press the brake, there is no clicking/disengaging sound coming from the shifter. but after driving a bit, i start to hear the click every time i press the brake... this is when I know that the car will shift into the first 2 gears very firm.

are these 2 things associated? I'm hoping so, and it's just a 1 item fix.

thanks for any info. sorry I know very little about cars. but i'd rather tell you that than the mechanic!
2006 Cobalt 2.2 automatic.

Last edited by jessetheaviator; 04-02-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
I'm sure Coby will be able to help with this one as he has the tech info readily available and I don't atm.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm no mechanic but here is my thoughts on this. If you can still hear the shifter solenoid, after you have pull away from park position, tells me that you probably are having a failing P/N position switch. The "ECM" doesn't seem to know that your car is out of park. At this time TCM applies maximum fluid pressure hence the harsh shift. But code seems to indicate a solenoid problem. Did you only have a P1810 or was it accompanied by a P1816?

More info on P1080

Conditions for Setting the DTCP1810
The TCM detects an invalid gear range for 60 seconds. Refer to Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch Logic .

P1816
The TCM detects P/N with a drive ratio for 6 seconds.

P1818
The TCM detects a PARK, NEUTRAL, or a drive range with a REVERSE ratio for 3 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• DTCs P1810, P1816, and P1818 are Type B DTCs.

• The TCM commands maximum line pressure.

• The TCM freezes transmission adaptive functions.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the reply

actually the shifting problem/transmission hard shift happened about 3 times before the check engine light came on. and, as luck would have it, as soon as the guy from autozone comes out to check the engine light, it doesn't come on. he wasn't positive if it would sense any previous code, but it did. however, whos to say another code would not be present when the actual light is on.

also once the hard shifting/shift handle clicking starts to occur (which is randomly when i drive and doesn't go away until i let the car sit a while).. the hard shift occurs when i initially go from park to drive/neutral and when i put it back into park. I don't know if this info is relevant, just thought i'd pass it on.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Maybe start by cleaning the P/N switch connector. It sits on top of the transmission drivers side. Depending on your year it will have 1 or two connectors. It's location makes it a prime target for road grime.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

well, I dropped my car off at AAMCO on friday morning like they asked me to. They didn't check it until Saturday afternoon, 1 hour before they closed.. they could not find the issue. Monday afternoon they finally said "oh yes, it seems it is the transmission pressure fluid control circuit board" . I think they did not do any other checks, and went for the most expensive thing. they tried to talk me into keeping it for 4 more days while they open up the transmission and see if it is in face the circuit board or if there are other internal problems with the transmission.
the transmission shifts fine when the gear shift solenoid is not clicking when I press the brake. today i drove it and the problem never came up. it only comes up sometimes.
I am trying to find another transmission shop who could possibly be more reliable and honest.
they wanted 600$ to open up the transmission and then see what the problem is.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Contributor

Always best to use an independent mechanic/garage that has a good reputation than one of the tranny "Box Stores" who seem to live on quotas......
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I'm having a hard time finding online if the Transmission Fluid Pressure Position Switch Circuit is inside the actual transmission, if it needs to be opened up or not. anyone know?
thanks
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You have to remove the pan.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

thanks for the diagram!
unfortunately with my limited knowledge on this, does removing the pan go along with "opening up" the transmission? since the company I brought my car to said it would be 600$ just to open up the transmission, which is where the circuit board is.
I'd rather ask the stupid questions here than in the auto shop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode