HELP!!! 2006 Manual That Shakes/rattles/vibrates Upon Acceleration from a Stop!!!!!! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

HELP!!! 2006 Manual That Shakes/rattles/vibrates Upon Acceleration from a Stop!!!!!!

I own a 2006 Cobalt LS, coupe, 5 speed manual, with 75,000 miles. Recently I have been experiencing what I believe to be a transmission/clutch issue. I am a mature adult driver (no hot rodding), however I am the second owner of this vehicle. I am very competent mechanically and have owned many manual trans vehicles, including multiple GM 5 speeds. The following is the issue I am currently experiencing:

When accelerating from a complete stop, the car starts jerking/shaking from 1st to 2nd. I have noticed that it does more so when there is additional weight in the vehicle (i.e. 3 average size adults, rater than just the driver only).

When this happens the whole car shakes and rattles. It doesn't seem to matter what speed the clutch is released/feathered. I have also experimented with different shift patterns and RPM ranges, only minor changes if any? It feels as though the clutch is being 'dumped' in a low RPM, but just enough to keep the car from dying. From a bystander's view it looks as though the driver is first learning to drive.

I am not aware of any other mechanical issues. Also, just to note this doesn't occur when the car is accelerating from a rolling start. Only when there is the initial force to overcome. As I stated it is amplified by extra weight. I do not experience this in any other gears.

I have searched this forum and have not been able to locate a similar thread. Thank you in advanced for your help and I pray (literally) that this doesn't mean I need a new clutch or transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to djryanss
I have the same Exact issue with mine!! Just have not had a chance to post a thread. Don't worry, the crew here is amazing! It's only a matter of time before we get some trouble shooting and explanations.

I'm driving a 2006 SS/SC 5spd

Audio Mods:
Pioneer DEH-X8500BH HU with USB Input install, Kicker KS62's, Alpine Type S 6x9's

Interior: Under Construction

Exterior Mods:
Debadged
3 side Tint
Wind Deflectors

Engine Mods:
Vibrant Performance 4-2-1 Headers
Cold Air Intake w K&N Air Filter
Siemens 42# Injectors
2.7" Quick Change Pulley

http://www.syndicateoftuners.com
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:17 AM
Staff Alumni

if you drop it from 5th to 3rd for a hard pull on an incline will it slip?

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
if you drop it from 5th to 3rd for a hard pull on an incline will it slip?

Humm... with my issue...I'm not quite sure..Have not hit or found a big hill yet. Though I know of one in a city I am going to today. I'll find out.

Thanks!

Audio Mods:
Pioneer DEH-X8500BH HU with USB Input install, Kicker KS62's, Alpine Type S 6x9's

Exterior Mods:
Debadged
3 side Tint
Wind Deflectors

Engine Mods:
Siemens 42# Injectors
2.7" Quick Change Pulley

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 AM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Ok, for both guys having this issue, do this for me and you can actually do this in your driveway. At a dead stop with the car idling, put the car in 3rd gear. Without hitting the gas, dump the clutch as if you were trying to do a burnout without hitting the gas lol. If the car dies immediately, your clutch is fine, if it bucks and jumps and trys to stay running, your clutch is underspec and needs replaced.

Now for another question for you. Do your cars have a hard time going in and out of gears? And where is the clutch engagement point at? Is it pretty high like around the brake pedal or higher? Or is is close to the floor? Let me know.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
Ok, for both guys having this issue, do this for me and you can actually do this in your driveway. At a dead stop with the car idling, put the car in 3rd gear. Without hitting the gas, dump the clutch as if you were trying to do a burnout without hitting the gas lol. If the car dies immediately, your clutch is fine, if it bucks and jumps and trys to stay running, your clutch is underspec and needs replaced.

Now for another question for you. Do your cars have a hard time going in and out of gears? And where is the clutch engagement point at? Is it pretty high like around the brake pedal or higher? Or is is close to the floor? Let me know.
Levi to the rescue!! Sweet.

For me switching gears is nice and smooth. Catch point is pretty close to the floor board. Not high up.

Question, before I go dumping the clutch to test there is a car litteraly 2 inches in front of my car...never done this on purpose, so should I move just in case? Or am I s....I''m gonna move over. Sounds like the right thing to do. lol

Stay tuned!

Audio Mods:

Exterior Mods:
Debadged
3 side Tint
Wind Deflectors

Engine Mods:
Siemens 42# Injectors
2.7" Quick Change Pulley

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Yes please move the car if you have something in front of you, and have the e-brake on just in case. You never know lol

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
Yes please move the car if you have something in front of you, and have the e-brake on just in case. You never know lol
Yay! Clutch is good! Stopped dead.

The other symptom I have is that the engine doesn't settle down when i come to a stop. It ..... bounces the tach.... Weird right?

Audio Mods:

Exterior Mods:
Debadged
3 side Tint
Wind Deflectors

Engine Mods:
Siemens 42# Injectors
2.7" Quick Change Pulley

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djryanss View Post
Yay! Clutch is good! Stopped dead.

The other symptom I have is that the engine doesn't settle down when i come to a stop. It ..... bounces the tach.... Weird right?
If your car is still shaking and the clutch is good, it could be a slighly warped flywheel, and would need resurfacing.

Now as far as the idle at a stop, that is your IAC motor. Simple fix on that, just replace it.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Thumbs up

Nice! Thanks! I'll try and find a motor now and call my mechanic on the resurfacing.

Audio Mods:

Exterior Mods:
Debadged
3 side Tint
Wind Deflectors

Engine Mods:
Siemens 42# Injectors
2.7" Quick Change Pulley

Sponsored Links