Transmission Problem? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Transmission Problem?

Hello everyone, so my girlfriend has a automatic 2008 Chevy Cobalt Lt. Mileage is 80,0xx. So she had taken it to her mechanic 2 days ago for an inspection. While the car was there she also had them do an oil change, and new front rotors and brake pads. So we had taken it out Saturday drove it around a bit to see how it was running and everything was running smoothly. Not a single thing was off. Sunday the car sat in the driveway because it was extremely icy outside. Now come to Monday. She went to go out and put her car in reverse. She reversed out of the driveway however when she had placed it in drive it did not move at all. So I had taken a look at the car myself and this is what I have to report.

*the car drives in reverse fine! steering wheel moves like it is suppose to

*i had placed the car in N and the car started fine with it in N, I then continued to place the car in D and it went forward for approx 20 ft. Until it jerked to a stop

*i got out and had her drive it. I noticed when she placed it in drive the rear drivers side was looking weird. When she pressed the gas the rear would go down on just the drivers side, almost as if the parking brake was stuck. And it would not even move literally an inch.

Now the fact that it is raining hard out I could not check the trans fluid but wouldn't the mechanic check it for an inspection?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Is it cold as hell where you are? Did you let it warm up? Notice any leaks where it sat? Did you try L and I?

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yes it has been cold here in NY but we did let the car warm up for about 5-10 minutes. Someone I was talking to mentioned it may be the parking brake. Now my girlfriend and I haven't used it on her car in a while. Is it possible that during inspection they checked it and had gotten stuck? The only issue with that is 1. If it did get stuck wouldn't we notice this problem as soon as we got the car back from the mechanic and 2. Would I be able to drive the car in reverse fine with the parking brake applied? Why was I able to drive it approx 20 ft forward before it jerked. But that's what someone mentioned to me it might be that. I really don't know though, and the mechanic we went back to, to explain the problem said right away it was a transmission problem. Didn't ask any questions, didn't even look at the car yet. Just told him it wouldn't go in drive.
I did read another thread on here with the same if not similar problem however they didn't explain the outcome, just stated that they did get the transmission replaced and the problem was still there.
Thank you for the reply. We appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I know it is common for parking brakes to get stuck if you do not use them often and it is cold out, which both apply in this case. Just stumped right now

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:49 PM

Garage
Does the transmission hold in L and I?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Sorry about that. No leaks coming from the car and we tried in L and I with the same results as D.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Garage
Any grinding?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

It sounds like there is. However I thought of that as somewhat normal since the brake pads were just replaced.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If the pads were just replaced maybe you have a seized caliper. Was this done at a reputable shop?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Garage
Can you push it while its in neutral?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I had thought about the caliper issue. As far as the shop goes. Her entire family has been taking their cars there for years, I do not like the place because he has said he had done certain services to the car, when I know for a fact he did not. I also think he has become relaxed with them because they have so much trust in him, however it is my word against 5 others. I just think it is "convenient" that her car was inspected by this guy 2 days ago passed everything, said everything was fine with the car, then we go to him and tell him the issue without great detail and he tells us " sounds like you are going to need a new transmission". I guess I could be just freaking out over it or over examining things but god forbid if my pregnant girlfriend was going highway speeds and that car stopped like the way it did for me going only 5 mph, she could have been seriously hurt.
As far as pushing it in N I did not try that.
And she decided to bring it to this guys shop we will have the issue with it in detail tomorrow from this guy, and with the help of some threads on here I have many questions for him before he tries to sell us a transmission job.
Thank you everyone for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode