Transmission/Clutch Problem? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Transmission/Clutch Problem?

First off, let me explain the problem. My '06 Cobalt LS won't go anywhere in gear, as if the clutch is out, but I just got it replaced a few weeks before this happened. So let me just explain exactly what happened:
I was driving one day when it was getting a little stiff to put it into gears. Then, coming to a light in 5th, I took it out, and went to put it in 1st, wouldn't go in at all. I tried every other gear, and none would work except 5th, but then I finally managed to get it into 1st, but when I tried to go, it just started slowly coasting across the light and spitting smoke out of my exhaust from pushing it so hard. After this, it wouldn't go anywhere, as if the clutch was out, but I had just got the clutch replaced a few weeks before. I've had multiple people tell me i may need a new transmission, and I'm really hoping this isn't the issue. If it means anything, the day before, my dad had told me you can shift without using the clutch, and did it a few times to show me, then also did it the next morning when we were on out way to his work, but after that, I didn't do it at all.

It's been sitting in my garage for a bit now while I wait to get it fixed, and I've been messing with it a little to see if I can find anything out, and earlier I realized that if I put it in 1st, and slowly let off the clutch it'll slowly start to inch forward, but when i give it gas it doesn't do anything. Same thing in reverse. Any ideas? Glad to give any more information needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
When your clutch was replaced, did you get a new slave cylinder? If yes, did you bleed it properly? Did you get a new flywheel or your current one resurfaced? Did you get new flywheel bolts?

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Did it grind or exhibit any strange behavior while your dad was manhandling it? Not to be a dick or anything, but the clutch is there for a reason.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I didn't replace it myself, the dealership I got it from did it, but they got a whole new clutch kit, flywheel and everything. Not sure about the slave cylinder though, as I don't really know what that is. I'm learning about cars with this car lol. And when my dad was driving, it seemed pretty normal actually, I didn't think it was too bad. It was going into each gear pretty nicely, no grinding or anything.

Last edited by ItsStoner; 01-26-2014 at 07:47 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 PM

Garage
When did the dealership replace it? If its been a short while, I would go complain to them for either not doing it right or for faulty parts

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

As of now it's been a while, I want to say it was replaced back in July maybe, so it's been a good 5-6 months at least. But is that your way of saying its my clutch? or just an idea to see if it works.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 PM

Garage
I think your pressure plate or slave cylinder failed. Another thing you can check is stretched shifter linkage

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Easiest way to tell... start car, put in 3rd and dump the clutch. If it shuts off without any hesitation, clutch is fine. If it chokes and gags but doesnt die, clutch is dead

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yea I've done that multiple times lol,in 5th and third. doesn't gag much really but just stays on like its in neutral
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 AM
Contributor

Even though its been awhile...still go back to the dealership who replaced your clutch. There should be some type of guarantee and they need to know your situation. Sounds like something isn't allowing the gears to synch properly, but today's tranny's are extremely complex so best to have the experts take a look...

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

ItsStoner,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. If you would like for us to reach out to your dealership, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
clutch , gears , transmission

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode