AT Pan Drop/Drain and Fill - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

AT Pan Drop/Drain and Fill

Okay - first, I'm sorry in advance if I'm just missing the appropriate thread when searching for a couple of questions. If there is another thread that is a walkthrough/how to, I'd be happy to go there.

Onto my question.

2006 Cobalt LT sedan, automatic transmission - 111K miles
I want to start a transmission drain and fill schedule. Plan is to drop the pan, measure the amount, and refill with Dex VI of my choosing. I've seen the check plug procedure online as well. I want to make sure I'm buying all the correct parts to complete the job. Here goes:

1. Is the pan gasket reusable?/Any reason I should not reuse it (not leaking now).
2. Anyone had issues with an aftermarket pan? I wanted to put on a Dorman pan which has a drain plug for easier drain and fills in the future.
3.. Does anyone know the proper part number for the AT filter? There are two AC Delcos on RockAuto, part numbers are listed as TF316 and 24221762. The second part number has the following notation, which makes me think that is the correct one.
(FILTER,A/TRNS FLUID SERV BULL. 08-07-30-040 APP TO THIS P/N. PER GM SERV POLICIES & PROC,FAIL TO FOLLOW THE BULL. MAY RESULT IN THE REJECTION OF A WARRANTY CLAIM; w/ 4-Speed Automatic Transmission (MN5))
4. Based on the service bulletin listed above, I should but 2 magnets as well?

Thanks in advance.

2006 Cobalt LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Staff Alumni

Unless someone beats me to it I'll reply when I get home. Just did this job a month ago.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Okay, so to answer your questions:

1. Yes, the gasket is reusable if undamaged. But be sure to inspect the ribs for cracks/crushing and clean it with dish soap and water. If you need to replace it, you can get a Fel-Pro TOS18715. It is an identifical gasket to OEM. I got mine from Autozone for $20 as opposed to paying $75 for one at the dealer.

2. Although I like the drain plug, I read some bad reviews of the Dorman pan. Whatever you do, be absolutely sure your pan was not over-torqued when previously serviced. If your pan isn't completely flush it will not seal. Ask me how I know. Look for inverted divots where the bolts go in. Replace the pan if it's mangled. If you want a bung, have a shop weld one in for you.

3. I didn't see the TF316 on there. The other one should work fine. I got the Wix 58611. For what it's worth, I read not to replace the neck seal. I read that some people goof that up.

4. My new pan came with 2 magnets, so I suspect there was a reason for adding another. Just make sure what you put in there is clean.

A few tips... Make sure your mating surfaces (pan, gasket, housing) are clean and free of fluid residue to ensure a good seal on install. I just used isopropyl alcohol to clean the mating surfaces prior to install.

Also, torque spec on the transmission pan bolts call for 89 lb in, however most torque wrenches are not accurate at the top and bottom 30% or their range. That means you could easily over-torque My advice? Get it snug. Any tighter and you could crush the gasket, or worse snap a bolt in the case. I've done this before and it was a nightmare.

Use Dex VI from your dealer. I did a lot of research and I didn't want to go with anything else. My manual says a pan drop will require 7 quarts. Just make sure that when you remove the check plug to check your level, the car needs to be running and the car level. Add a little up top until it drains out of the plug hole. Close it up, shut your car down and you're good to go.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can post the procedure.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff

Last edited by stratosproject; 06-11-2014 at 03:49 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thanks so much - awesome writeup. I'm glad you mentioned the Wix - probably going to go with that actually. The choices at the local Advance Auto are a Driveworks for ~$20 (no thanks), and Fram for ~$75, so I was aiming to cut down on the shipping from RockAuto, but that might be all I need to order and is already a lot cheaper.

Did the Wix filter come with a neck seal that was decent? I had the same concern about replacing it so I'm glad you mentioned it, but thinking I should be prepared if I see something that is a suprise, and have heard the pan gasket in a lot of the filter kits is junk anyway.

Just out of curiousity what was the Dex VI from your local dealer bottled as? AC Delco, Castrol, something else?

Thanks again for all the help!

2006 Cobalt LT

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Staff Alumni

Yeah, the Wix filter came with the neck seal. But the old one looked fine so I just left it alone. I actually just picked that up at O'reilly's down the road. It also came with a gasket, but as you mentioned, it is a junk neoprene gasket. The Fel-pro is honest to goodness 100% identical to OEM. I'd recommend that if you need a new one.

Tomorrow I'll snap a pic of the Dex picked up. The dealer sold it by the quart and gallon. Came out to be about $9 per quart, same as higher end stuff off the shelf. I'd get into the reports I read, but in short the Dex VI outlasted even the best competitors in R&D, assuming I trust the source. I figure if it's good enough to warranty...

The job wasn't bad, just take your time and do it right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode