Driving Manual: Tips and Discussion - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Driving Manual: Tips and Discussion

Ok, well using autoguide's search I couldn't really find anything exactly like this. I want this to be here for everyone to share what they know about driving manual. If you have tips or tricks.. share them. If you have questions, ask them.

I am fairly new to driving manual. My question in this new thread is .. does rev matching hurt the clutch or engine? I feel like it would actually reduce wear. And that is what I was told, but I'm not an expert. Some say it harms the vehicle, others say it helps reduces wear.. which is true? Both?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I still maintain that when done right, rev matching a downshift is no more harmful to your car than a regular upshift. If you're really concerned about wear, pop it into neutral and coast, but in doing so you'll lose valuable engine braking, decrease fuel economy due to negating DFCO and you'll have no power in the event of an emergency. Also, it's a great way to increase the wear on your brakes. Plus, downshifting makes you look badass. When approaching a stop, I'll go from 5th, to 4th, then to 3rd, and clutch in at 1500 rpm. When I want power, I'll jump from 5th to 3rd (or 2nd if possible) and give her the beans. Car instantly wakes up and pulls hard.

Downshifting is an invaluable skill for any and all manual drivers to learn and master.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yes. I'm not worried about ruining anything. I just want to clear things up. Does anyone have any facts to prove which is true? Can ou heal/toe pj?

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Not well. The pedals are too far apart and set at different depths. With the PFYC comp pedals I can barely reach the throttle with my heel, but it's very uncomfortable and I can't do it nearly quick enough to execute a proper heel-and-toe. It is something I need to work on.

post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Do you have small feet or is it just the pedals?

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I wear a size 12.

The problem is the pedal spacing is too far apart, especially when compared to a European or Japanese car. The clutch and brake are aligned, but the gas pedal is recessed a ways deeper. Heel-and-toeing is possible, but it would require considerable dexterity and/or pedal repositioning.

post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Oh I see. You could probably change the spacing if you really wanted to

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Maybe the SS pedals are different? It is a sport compact. My G5 is an economy car. The designers didn't think anyone would ever be trying to make them go fast around a track, so they didn't bother to put the pedals closer together.

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Forum Regular

Rev matching is the industry standard. The alternative to rev matching is having your clutch grab the flywheel and try to spin the engine up the proper speed in an instant. Even if you don't get it exactly right, rev matching makes this process easier on the drivetrain by narrowing the difference in speed between the engine and the wheels, resulting in a much smoother shift and less potential wear on the components involved.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if the pedals are different on the ss. I only drove it once for a short time(test drive) and I never tried to heel/toe it. I'm check it out when I pick it up.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinw303 View Post
Rev matching is the industry standard. The alternative to rev matching is having your clutch grab the flywheel and try to spin the engine up the proper speed in an instant. Even if you don't get it exactly right, rev matching makes this process easier on the drivetrain by narrowing the difference in speed between the engine and the wheels, resulting in a much smoother shift and less potential wear on the components involved.
Ok that's what I thought. It really does just feel better on the car. And what you said seems to clear that up a bit for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode