Shifter Keeps Popping Out - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Shifter Keeps Popping Out

Hi guys, I've had my G5 for over a year now and it hasn't been giving me any unusual issues until lately. The shifter assembly keeps popping out (daily). The plastic ring that snaps in on three sides will not stay down. Any ideas why? I put in a new rubber o-ring as well since the old one snapped.

Here's a photo of the piece.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
The tabs that hold the plastic ring in place may be worn or broken or the plastic ring may not be twisted into the position that locks the ring down. Also check to see if that metal clip by the wire in the picture is pushed in correctly. This might help https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/per...balt-pics.html

2007 Cobalt LS Ultra Silver Metallic 5-speed GMPP Catback Exhaust ZZP header and downpipe Supercharged 77.9mm pulley
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsCobalt07 View Post
The tabs that hold the plastic ring in place may be worn or broken or the plastic ring may not be twisted into the position that locks the ring down. Also check to see if that metal clip by the wire in the picture is pushed in correctly. This might help https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/per...balt-pics.html
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll check out that metal clip. I did have it out when I put my cavalier shifter in. I have not been able to find a part number or name for that plastic ring. So replacing it might be difficult. I'll have to go onto AllDATA and see if I can find a diagram where it's listed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
broken , shifter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode