Hit rock, lost all tranny fluid. Filled, still won't move?? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hit rock, lost all tranny fluid. Filled, still won't move??

So a co-worker of mine called and told me he hit a rock in his 05 cobalt 2.2L automatic.

He hit a rock and it bent the tranny oil pan back a little and of coarse lost the fluid in the pan. He continued to drive it after he hit the rock until the car wouldn't move (obviously no pressure from no fluid), and said it started smoking from under the car somewhere, then he had it towed and then I came into play to fix it.

So I replaced his tranny oil pan, pan gasket, filter and bought tranny fluid (dextron VI), filled 10 quarts with car at temp and it leaked out the check plug on the side of the tranny, so assumed all is good.

Go to test drive, here's the trouble now..

Put in drive car in drive and u have to rev it up pretty good to barely move fwd, but will move this in way...will not move at all in reverse, when put down into 1st or 2nd gear (automatic remember) still will not move at all..almost stalls out. Like the parking brake is on.

Fluid is still full, checked the TCM fuses and basically both fuse boxes completely and all is good. The actual TCM doesn't smell burned but doubt an electrical issue would cause the no reverse issue, but something did smoke he said so here I am..

Does it sound like the tranny is shot? Stuck check valve, airlock from losing fluid?

Please help, he's a broke "new" guy.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Forum Regular

Sounds like a shot transmission. Driving it after losing all of the fluid probably killed it. No lubrication=worn down everything.

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeh kinda thinking that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode