Transmission Slipping, Low Fluid Maybe? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Transmission Slipping, Low Fluid Maybe?

Hello to all,

For starters, it's been 7 years since I've owned a vehicle as I've been living in south america since 2008. We just returned to the US a week ago and some friends who are moving gave us their 2010 Chevy Cobalt "L" for free. It has 105,009 miles on it and runs great, is very comfortable.

The only issue I've noticed is that the little yellow engine light indicator stays on and the tranny slips or "jerks" or "kicks" a bit when driving. It doesn't always slip, just sometimes, but every now and then it will kick a bit. Now, my gut tells me it's low on tranny fluid, maybe like a quart, but I've been reading that this car has a sealed tranny and no dipstick! Seems weird to me, I know NOTHING about this vehicle other than what I'm researching online as I just got it tonight. Do most shops know how to service these trannys, like change fluid and filter? I assume it would be cheaper than taking it to a Chevy dealer. I just need something cheap and reliable to get me to my new job.
Any and all help and advice would be appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached at least 105degF. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.

Remove the fluid vent cap. (red cap on drivers side top of trans)
Raise the vehicle on a hoist(or support on jackstands)
. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

Remove the transmission oil level control plug(its a small usually 10mm hex bolt on the right/passenger side of trans, below and in front of the right hand axle.)

Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

Add DEXRONŽIII automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the plug hole.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 08-17-2015 at 05:02 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I believe they've discontinued Dexron III. You can however use Dexron VI. They've revised the formula somewhat and it is compatible with both the automatic and manual transmissioned Cobalts/G5s.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well, I decided to take it into a Chevy dealer. Something about a transmission fluid valve was bad, and if I don't replace it would eventually ruin the tranny. Total cost, part and labor I'll be out 600 bucks. Of course 100,000 miles is the magic number LOL.
They'll have the part tomorrow and have me back on the road later in the afternoon. The mechanic said other than that the car is in very good condition and looks good. I figure hey the car was free, I paid nothing for it. It runs good and if I drop 600 bucks into it to do some maintenance on the tranny what the heck, I still got a good deal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Prospect

Hopefully that fixed it for you! $600 to keep a good car running is well worth the investment!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltOperator View Post
Well, I decided to take it into a Chevy dealer. Something about a transmission fluid valve was bad, and if I don't replace it would eventually ruin the tranny. Total cost, part and labor I'll be out 600 bucks. Of course 100,000 miles is the magic number LOL.
They'll have the part tomorrow and have me back on the road later in the afternoon. The mechanic said other than that the car is in very good condition and looks good. I figure hey the car was free, I paid nothing for it. It runs good and if I drop 600 bucks into it to do some maintenance on the tranny what the heck, I still got a good deal.
So how did it turn out??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode