2007 Transmission - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

2007 Transmission

Hi, I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt with an automatic transmission. The transmission has always operated perfectly until recently when I replaced the CV axle. When attempting to remove the cv axle the entire axle came out of the transmission. It didn't seem to be a problem but just to be on the safe side I had a mechanic friend help me install everything. When installing the axle I noticed the keeper that goes on the axle was not in place. I questioned this and the mechanic said it probably was still in the transmission and would snap into place once the axle was installed. He did the actual installation so I don't know if the keeper snapped into place or not. Everything seemed to go great until a few weeks later. Without warning the speedometer started fluctuating and the car wouldn't go over about 30mph. I went to a different mechanic only to find that the speed sensor was bad. He replaced the sensor and said my transmission needed to be replaced. The transmission still operates properly without any trouble except scarring the speed sensor on the end causing it to malfunction. After he replaced the sensor the car ran good for several weeks and then started to act the same way, speedometer fluctuating and car running about 30mph. I replaced the sensor myself and again the car ran fine. A few weeks later the sensor is acting up again in the same manner. The transmission is still functioning great as far as shifting gears but something is rubbing on the end of the speed sensor. If the keeper wasn't installed on the end of the axle,would that cause the axle to wobble just enough to cause the speed sensor to be struck by an internal part of the transmission? When replacing the sensor I looked into the transmission and there is a gearlike part which I assume feeds the sensor it's information. This part is what strikes the sensor causing it to malfunction. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode