Transmission Trouble - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Transmission Trouble

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt with an automatic transmission. I replaced the CV axle and upon removing the cv axle the entire axle came out of the transmission. I called a mechanic friend of mine to get his advice on reinstalling the axle. He happened to be close by at the time so he came and reinstalled the axle and actually completed the job. I noticed the keeper wasn't on the axle when he installed it so I brought it to his attention. He said that it was probably still in the groove inside the transmission. A few days after the job was complete the car started running at a top speed of about 30mph. I was 20 miles from home when this began but by the time I got home the odometer read that I had travled over 200 miles. All the way home the speedometer was reading between 80mph to 100mph even though I wasn't going faster than 30mph. I took the car to a different mechanic and he replaced the speed sensor. I thought the problem was solved but a week later the same thing happened again. This time I replaced the speed sensor myself and so far the car is still running fine however, the steering wheel is still vibrating and the transmission is still making a roaring sound.. If the keeper isn't on the axle inside the transmission would that cause the steering wheel to vibrate and the transmission to roar? The mechanic who replaced the speed sensor said that the whole transmission needed to be replaced. I don't claim to be a mechanic but the transmission has always performed perfectly before and after the cv axle was replaced so why would I need to replace the whole transmission? It does roar but shifts perfectly. Should I just take the axle back out to make sure the keeper is in place? The speed sensor did have a small scar on the end which looked as though the keeper may have been in the wrong place causing it to cut the sensor just enough to keep it from working.What would you recommend? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode