Enabling Tap Shift - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Enabling Tap Shift

The cobalt automatic transmission is a 4T45E and is also found in the Cheby Malibu, how hard should it be for a Cobalt?
I know there are switches with their appropriate resistance (paddles), and another set of wires added to the clock spring. Would this be available in he Tech2 in the TCM setup?

There was a intresting article by the ARTA Tech department that covered tap shift features on the 4T65E & 4T45E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Now the following is my assumption and NOT based on any one document. If anyone knows better, please chime in, If it is anywhere close, chime in.
I think it would be a cool addition o add padel shift to Cobalts.

Now what i am trying to learn is the 04-08 Malibu tap shift.
Please correct my understanding.
BCM is programed to monitor the switches (gear shift & paddles) based on singles, instructs TCM to shift (up, down, or stay) or execute its normal programbased on shift cable, & PCM input.

The BCM is programed with a Tech2 but not as a Cobalt (product code A. I would correct this if I could see the old photobucket images)
Bcm need to be programed as a Malibu. What product code?

The TCM may need to be loaded with a Malibu 4T45E table values.

For better transmission, the valve body & solenoids may need to be upgraded to reduce shift time (transgo kit )

V=35
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Need GM schematics for the 2008-2009 automatic gear shift & steering wheel paddel shift?

I understand there is a switch and wire harness in center consol gear shift that goes to BCM. this is known to break and disable tap shift.
Coupled with steering wheel paddles & resistance that goes to bcm.
The steering wheel paddles work quite similar to radio & cruise buttons via different resistance. Reading them, by the BCM, is triggered by switch possition on center gear shift.

Now I dont know if the BCM tells the ECM / PCM to shift or communicates directly to the TCU to shift based upon input from steering wheel paddles & central console gear shift position

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Cobalt Master

It would be really interesting to see what you can come up with. I know a few other people have looked into it over the years but nothing ever really came of it. Paddle shifters would be sweet in my g5 once I get it built haha
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Rob
Plan on valve body & valve upgrades. Think of it as a trany shif kit because a stock 4T45E is not a fast shifter. It can be improved.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Cobalt Master

It can shift faster with some tuning but I have no problem rebuilding the trans haha every other system on the car is going to be freshly rebuilt anyways
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Far out rob.
Remember, i am NOT the all knowing on this subject, only integrating all of the comments from the other GM platforms that use the 4T45E and then adding my little knowledge on how GM engineers have been told what grandma and grandpa want in their Buick & Oldsmobile and all little johnny could afford was the old cheby. And he was trying to fit a 4 sp in and find all the brackets for the clutch peddle.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Coupled with the schematics I just received along with the following article, I think I am close to trying to implement tap shift on a Cobalt.

I may need a malibu gear shift & tap shift enable switch or maybe just the switch.
Need to check some part numbers and compare Malibu gear shifter to Cobalt
Now the following article says the tap shift signal goes from the tap-shift paddle to the PCM. Yet, the scematics I have says it connects to the TCM.
http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2007...2007_10_46.pdf
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I would think the diagram from the GM server is correct, why would you send a shift command to the ECM???

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:14 AM
Cobalt Master

That article is also referencing 04 malibu and I'm not entirely sure they had a separate ecm and tcm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
@1966tbird , @coby7 , @mp81 , @parthros

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode