'10 Cobalt LT Coupe Gear Shift Moves but Does Not Engage Automatic Transmission - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

'10 Cobalt LT Coupe Gear Shift Moves but Does Not Engage Automatic Transmission

Been driving the car regularly and havent had a single problem or anything that would make me think it could be linked to this problem
Drove the car tonight and parked it on a flat parking lot
I put the car into park and shut it off normally
Went to leave the car starts fine with no warnings
goes to select reverse by normal method of foot on brake first and then shift to revers
the shifting felt odd like it wasnt selecting or the feeling you would normally get of the transmission going through gears

No error codes no oddities at all with anything on the dash speedometer, tachometer etc.
Car revs fine

Was hoping to get some ideas on what i should do first to try and fix this
Thankyou everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Initiate

Does it feel like it's slipping through the gears? Did you notice any leaks underneath your vehicle? The only thing I can think of might be either low transmission fluid or contamination. How many miles on the car? I've changed the fluid and filter on mine at 110,000 miles as preventative maintenance. Not hard to do, and dropping the transmission pan might give you clues to why it's acting up, like dirty fluid or (hopefully not) metal or other debris in the pan.

2006 Cobalt SS/NA
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICobaltSS View Post
Does it feel like it's slipping through the gears? Did you notice any leaks underneath your vehicle? The only thing I can think of might be either low transmission fluid or contamination. How many miles on the car? I've changed the fluid and filter on mine at 110,000 miles as preventative maintenance. Not hard to do, and dropping the transmission pan might give you clues to why it's acting up, like dirty fluid or (hopefully not) metal or other debris in the pan.
No not at all. Not experiencing any problems or signs of something weird going on
Car has 50K miles
No leaks

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Update:

Today I took apart all the center console to have a look around and found nothing unusual
Cable is still attached to shifter
No bend or broken parts

I was able to have a buddy manually move the gears into R N D from under the hood
and then I drove the car home fine

With that being said while moving the gears into position, it doesnt move the shifter inside so I am thniking I have a broken cable

Currently trying to figure out a way to remove the cable to have a look but a clip is giving me a ton of grief ...like 4 hours of it, afraid I may break something here
Metal clip with 2 fingers

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Searched for a how to on removal and installation of new cable but cant find anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode