Transmission Burning Fluid - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Transmission Burning Fluid

I have an 07 Cobalt Coupe, I changed the transmission fluid and filter at 100,000 miles. I'm now at 126,000 and I've been having to put about 3/4 of a quart in it every few thousand miles because it seems to be just burning it off. Usually the transmission will start jerking or struggling to stay in gear (no lights or warnings though) and I'll lift the car up, pull out the check plug, and add fluid and its almost always 3/4 of a quart low. I've checked all over for leaks and can't find any. Any idea's on what may be causing it to use so much fluid so quickly? Once I add this fluid it starts to behave normally until it runs through fluid again.

2007 Cobalt Coupe LT3 --130,000mls-- black bowties SOLD
2015 Chevy Cruze -- 35,000mls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Contributor

I dont think your burning transmission fluid. Yet you can over heated the fluid causing it to smell or look burnt.
If your tranny fluid level is going down, you do have a leak.
Check the gasket and seals and the rest of the under side for signs of fluid leaks.

When was the last time you cleaned the underside of the engine & transmission with a power wash?

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 10-05-2017 at 06:54 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966tbird View Post
I dont think your burning transmission fluid. Yet you can over heated the fluid causing it to smell or look burnt.
If your tranny fluid level is going down, you do have a leak.
Check the gasket and seals and the rest of the under side for signs of fluid leaks.

When was the last time you cleaned the underside of the engine & transmission with a power wash?
I cleaned the transmission pan and undercarriage when I changed the fluid, and from what I can tell it's not leaking. The pan had some stuff on it but I think it's just road grime as it passes the sniff test. But other than this the underside is spotless, there's no signs of oil or fluids anywhere.

2007 Cobalt Coupe LT3 --130,000mls-- black bowties SOLD
2015 Chevy Cruze -- 35,000mls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode