Bad Transmission??? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Bad Transmission???

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt with an automatic transmission. I had a shop replace my drivers side CV axle and soon afterwards I began hearing a roaring sound coming from somewhere under the front end. It wasn't real bad and since it's my only transportation to work I continued to drive it and now the noise is starting to get worse. Last Saturday I went to the store and started to back out of the parking space and the car backed up about two feet and stopped like it hit a brick wall. I pulled forward and attempted to back up about 8 to 10 times, going very easy each time, and it finally backed up. I went straight home and parked it. I finally had a chance to look at it today and unless the problem is inside the transmission or maybe i'm overlooking something the only thing I see that may be wrong is the large part of the CV axle that is about 3" in diameter and maybe 4" long that is right next to the transmission has about 1/2" slack when you pull it with your hand towards the drivers side wheel. The passenger side only moves about 1/8". Also when the mechanic replaced the CV axle the keeper wasn't on the axle and he said that it was probably still inside the transmission. Since he did this work I have replaced the speed sensor twice. Both times the end of the speed sensor looks like it had been scraped with a sharp object, similar to the sharp end of the keeper and about the same width as the diameter of the keeper. As you might have guessed by now i'm not a mechanic but low on funds and need this vehicle back on the road so I don't have to depend on others for transportation to and from work. Any advice wil be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Looks like your mechanic screwed up.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

That's what I was thinking, that's why i'm on here seeking advice and not back at his shop asking his advice. So am I correct in assuming the CV axle doesn't suppose to have 1/2" slack since the other side only has about 1/8" slack? When I pull on the CV axle you can see the shaft pulling out of the transmission about 1/2". This movement has caused the seal to let fluid seep out. I haven't seen any transmission fluid on my driveway yet but there is a small amount around the seal. It looks like it is just starting to leak. Would the CV axle, sliding back and forth 1/2" cause the car to suddenly stop while backng up? Like I stated in a previous post, the car stops like it has hit a brick wall. I'm hoping the slack is causing the gears to misalighn just enough to hang up and I can replace the cv axle or install the keeper onto the axle and be on my way. The transmission works perfectly as far as shifting so i'm thinking it's ok.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Not a half inch for sure, that shaft isn't latched in place and is binding. You may have damaged the joint already.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

OK, Thanks Coby7, I've watched a few videos on replacing the axle and it looks very simple. I'll replace the axle just in case it is damaged since this is my only means of transportation at the time. Thanks again Coby7, your help is greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Another quick question. I've removed the cv axle and there was no keepers holding it in place so the cv axle and the shaft that goes inside the transmission just slid out easily by hand. The seal on the axle is damaged and has to be replaced. How do you replace the seal? Do you just pry the old seal out of the transmission as you would and other seal and just tap the new one into place? And for the seal on the axle, is it pressed on? How is the best way to remove the old one and install a new one? I have looked for videos on you tube but can only find how to replace the axle, not the seal. I'm sure this is very simple to do but I want to be sure I do it right the first time.

Last edited by Poppie51; 10-21-2017 at 07:22 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 02:30 AM
Prospect

Syncros
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:47 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
What would synchros have anything to do with this?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode