Transmission Replacement - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Transmission Replacement

HI, I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt,w/ automatic transmission, that may need the transmission replaced. It all started when the CV axle on the drivers side went bad. While trying to remove the axle from the shaft the whole axle came out of the transmission. I figured all I had to do was slide it back into place but before doing so I called a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he offered to help me finish the job. As he was installing the axle I noticed the keeper wasn't on the axle so I questioned him about it and he said that "it is probably still inside the transmission." I didn't like the word "Probably" but thought he knew what he was doing. Well, after everything was installed the car ran fine for a few weeks then it began to run at a top speed of about 30 mph and the speedometer was fluxuating back and forth. I determined the speed sensor had gone bad. As I remover the sensor I noticed a cut in the end of it that looked similar to a cut that the end of the keeper could make. It was about the same width as the keeper. I replaced the sensor and everything was fine again for awhile then it happened again. The sensor had the same marking as the previous one. I replaced it again and it fixed the problem again for a short period of time then it happened a third time. The sensor had the same marking. A few days ago I started backing up and after moving about four feet the car stopped suddenly as though it hit a brick wall. I eased froward and the same thing happened. I moved back and forth four or five times then it finally went forward with no more problems. I made it home and parked the car. I am wondering if the keeper is still inside the transmission and getting between the gears causing it to lock up. Has anyone had this problem or know what step to take? I haven't dropped the transmission pan yet to see if anything is in it but I think that would be the first step. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Poppie51; 12-24-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode