Unsure How to Proceed. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Unsure How to Proceed.

So, I bought the car used, 06 LS, had around 98k when I bought it. I have no idea if anything has ever been done to this car beyond oil changes. The Transmission seems to function totally fine right now, no issues shifting, and I don't ever really drive around mountains or really hot weather or do heavy pulling or anything else described in the Owners Manuel. i am now sitting at around 106k, what should I do in the name of maintenance? I notice a lot people saying how dangerous Flush's are, even more so on cars with high mileage. Should i just get the fluid changed normally, with gravity? Or is this fluid lifetime? or what? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I know almost nothing about cars and have very little money, so would like some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:54 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The fluid is considered "lifetime" because it is "sealed"...but 100k is about the change interval. Don't have it flushed - a standard drain and fill would be what you want.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Alright, good to know. Thank you kindly for the information.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Not a problem. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

100k might be a good time to replace the plugs, if they have not been changed. They are iridium plugs, so they are good for about 100k. It'd be worth checking the air filter, as well.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I had the spark plugs changed a few oil changes ago. I also had one of the air filters replaced, not sure which one it was I cannot recall. Should I also change the transmission filter with the fluid? Any special type of fluid i should get for it? Any other fluids I should consider changing? like Coolants? Fuel Filters or something?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:28 AM
Say What again!

Garage
There is only one air filter. There's a cabin filter, but that is for the HVAC in the car. The engine air filter is located behind the passenger headlight, in the air box.

I mean, at 106k, you'd probably be okay replacing the filter. I was going to when I had to add a bunch of new fluid (it leaked out when I was replacing my passenger-side halfshaft), but for whatever reason, I decided against it. Sometimes its just best to leave the filter.

Coolant is good for 100k, so I would say drain yours and put some new stuff (Dexcool) in.

Fuel filter wouldn't be bad either, but it probably is perfectly fine. Mine was at ~116k miles when I replaced it.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So the tranny is sealed you said, does this require anything special to work on? I assume this is one of those things that requires a "special tool" that only Dealerships have?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:39 AM
Say What again!

Garage
They just call it a sealed system because it doesn't have the typical dipstick.

No, you won't need anything special, aside from a means of lifting the car while keeping it level (a lift helps here, but you could use four jack stands), and a long funnel.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Alright, I found in the Manuel I should get DEXRON VI fluid when I change it, but I could not find anywhere exactly how much to get.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Contributor

Now would be a good time to start shopping for new O2 sensors, shocks, struts, and control arm bushings or whole new lower control arms.
All of this installed at the garage can get a little pricy but the suspension work will transform the handling most noticeable.

The stock ACDelco FE5 shocks & struts are impressive.

And 2qt should be more than enough. YMMV.
BTW, Your cabin filter migh be a great place to grow mushrooms by now if it has never been replaced.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 03-02-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode