Vehicle Detailing/Cleaning - Tips/Tricks/Ideas - Page 2 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Vehicle Showoff Vehicle profiles for Members of YourCobalt.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bbrewbaker
I tip for getting the wax off like the seems between the bumper and fender or any tight areas like the end caps on the spoiler. Use a toothpick.
And even along the edges of graphics or pin stripe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Good thread!!!

I never bothered detailing the Balt properly, cause it get used by everyone in my family and they don't care.... But this is my dad's car wash process for laughs: Hose down car, use Simoniz with water and regular hand towel and rub in, then rinse.. Then air dry the car..

I've known for a long time this is a recipe for fail, especially cause it leaves water spots as it air dries, though I do that on the Cobalt cause I'm not wasting money and time detailing a car with proper products only to see my results get destroyed in a day or two.

But yeah, I've never used a claybar in my life, or really waxed a car properly. Now that my Fiero is gonna be here, I definitely want to give it a shot... Only problem is, I don't have any McGuire's products locally .. All the local shops have is the regular turtle wax stuff.

*Question- I've heard NOT to use windex for cleaning tinted windows, whats safe to use? Thanks.

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^

Last edited by NitroheadZ28; 08-08-2010 at 10:37 AM.
post #13 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Stoner's invisible glass is the best to use for tinted windows.
Invisible glass and the McGuire's products Wal-Mart carries.

post #14 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroheadZ28 View Post
*Question- I've heard NOT to use windex for cleaning tinted windows, whats safe to use? Thanks.
Stoner - Invisible Glass

post #15 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Thank you gentlemen! I'll make it a point to look for that next time I pay a visit to Walmart.

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #16 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroheadZ28 View Post
Thank you gentlemen! I'll make it a point to look for that next time I pay a visit to Walmart.
There is a can of it in my first post of this thread.

post #17 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Also for the outside of the windows Invisible Glass with the rain repellent is better to use then RainX.
post #18 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
I've recently been training at a detailing shop, and there's a couple things I've learned:

-If you have access to a shampooer, use it. If doing the headliner, go over it ONCE, twice maximum. Do it like shaving, (One line down, next, one line down, next, ect) or the headliner will sag from too much dampness.
-There's this wax... Comes in a clear, large tube-like bottle. Has some kind of spanish name I can't think of, I'll post it when I see it later. Anyways. Pour some onto a microfibre sponge, go over one panel at a time. It will haze after a minute. Take a good cloth, reccommended microfibre, and hand buff clean with one side. Flip it over, and gently wipe the panel down for a beautiful sheen.
-if you DO have a shampooer, with a powerful vacuum attachment and steamer, don't be afraid to use a powerwasher on the doorjambs and those plastic edges under the door. Any carpet or upholstrey that gets wet will be steam-cleaned later, and it cuts your cleaning time down greatly.
-as stated previously in this thread, if you have an air compresser and a thin airbrush, use it for all those tiny cracks. Dodges are HORRIBLE for those cracks, and a powerful degreaser can take it out and be blown out very quickly. This method can also be used to clean stereo systems and decks, provided you don't have a touchscreen.

Driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2L, Alpine Type-S speakers & 10" Sub, Pioneer AVHP3200BT Receiver, Injen CAI
post #19 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
I take the easy way out to combat waterspots. I use the Mr. Clean autowash. It works wonders with the built in PUR water filter. I never get spots after letting it sit there and air dry.

post #20 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
^^I've always wanted one of those! never knew if it was any good though. I haven't seen them in the store lately though. Will do you have to find replacement filters for that system? if so is it easy to find them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode