Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

G5Steven / Yellow '07 Pontiac G5 / Leesburg, FL

11K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  Senshi09 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 11-6-10

The Story:
I bought the car back in April of '07, with only 2 miles on the clock. I went looking for a Cobalt, but the prices they were posting with the same options as the 5 has ended up being 3 grand more than the 5. So I went to the Pontiac lot and was looking around, decided on a silver one that had the sun and sound package, but when I got to the showroom; it was sitting right smack in the middle. All bright and Yellow. So I told them to scratch the paperwork on the silver and start it on the Yellow one. Over the past few years I've put 91K on it, and still counting, only had a handful of problems if you want to call them problems. Needed the Steering Recall, Two Accidents, a coolant sensor, and the fuel module recall.

Exterior
*GT Front Bumper Cover with SS/TC lower grill
*Dodge Style RT Stripes on both front quarter panels
*10% Tint all around with a 5% 6" strip on the front glass
*17" Five X Mb Wheels with Yokohama YK520 235/45/17 Tires
*G5Club.Net Decals (YourCobalt.com decals would kinda be out of place on a G5, but they are pretty much sister sites it seems like)
*Gen 1 CCFL Black Headlights from K2 Motor
*Tinted Side markers and Third Brake Light

Mechanical
*DIY Autozone SRI using stock air box with resonator delete and K-n-N Air Filter
*Exhaust Resonator Delete with 2.5" Piping from the Cat back to a Flowmaster 40 Series and a 3" chopped truck exhaust tip

Interior
*Yellow Painted Trim
*Yellow Pontiac Dart Overlay on Steering wheel
*A-Pillars done in Marine Vinyl

Entertainment (This is still in the works
*Pioneer 6.5" speakers fitted to the stock splash shields in the doors
*Pioneer 6x9" in the rear deck
*480W 2ohm Amp (waiting on funds for a decent box and sub that won't blow)
*Rewired AUX input to be hidden in center console
*Ipod Controller/Charger installed where 12v Power source was and cord run to rewired aux port.

Trunk Space
*Threw away factory floor covering
*Replaced with 3/4" Plywood with hinges and Factory color matching Felt
*Spare Tire thrown away in hopes of using that space for a nice 12" Sub and custom ported Box under the Floor.
*Green Neon wired into trunk Light for added Lighting and effect.

Painted Dash Trim and Relocated AUX

Vinyl A Pillars

Trunk Floor

Engine

Exterior

Exhaust

Comment: Praise and Criticism Welcome...

Steven

See less See more
#2 ·
trunk looks good dude
i also like that you put pontiac G5 on the passanger side trim
i put Cobalt on mine using the factory letters. i bought them on ebay all spaced out like the way it is on the trunk for about 6 bux

#4 ·
not sure why you moved the aux input. just so it wouldn't look cluttered when you plugged in the ipod?

I like the intake bar, but why not throw a cone filter in? its not much more and then you'll have yourself a SRI.

trunk it amazingly clean. lol, mine has never looked close to that clean (even the day I bought it it was full of junk)

yellow on the speedo is a nice touch. gotta show my love to the rally yellow.

#7 · (Edited)
^^^ Thanks, I wish I had your headlights.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

You know, I've never noticed this, but if you look at my brake pedal in the pic of the radio without the aux port, my brake pedal is only worn on the bottom right of the pedal... I guess I didn't realize how relaxed my foot is while braking.

#15 · (Edited)
Alright, a few people have asked about my tire size and said that the Miata tire calculator is dead accurate... IT IS NOT, it is close, but it is not... I had to play around with the calculator to find out that the stock tires even brand new are only 185/55/15 not the 195/60/15 (this is because the miata tire calculator goes by quality tire specs instead of cheap GM 50 dollar stock tires. If you had a top end tire like Yokohama or Michelin then the tire size calculator would work correctly... Anyways, to get the numbers that match the measurements that I got just now, I had to input 185/55/15 which put me at 23" overall diameter, and the 235/45/17 is the same because my new tires are quality tires. This brings me to a speedo reading of 10.1% too slow where if I'm doing 60 I'm actually doing 66, and that is also a confirmed accurate reading according to my GPS.

Now that being said, if I do the math and my Average Tank Mileage is @ 350 around town I have to do this equation --> [(350x.101)+350]/12 = 32.28 MPG around town, as for the old way and what my DIC reads is 29.2... now for the Highway, I usually average 420 miles so [(420x.101)+420]/12 = 38.54 MPG, but my DIC always reads 35.1 MPG.

Now On To the Pics of the old stock tires (which my brother still has on his car, and has only 2300miles on them) to the spare rim and tire I have... Notice the Difference?

Oh, and these mileage numbers I get on average are always with a heavy foot. If I took it easy, I could get 32 city and 36 Highway on the DIC which translates to 35.23 City and 39.64 Highway. I'm sure that once I lower and get the Side Skirts I'll gain another MPG or so.

Steven

#16 ·
The lowering might help a little, but I do not think the side skirts will help without doing something to the front end to cut down on the air entering under the car.

You tires a lot bigger, and the math seems to make sense, but it still relies on the accuracy of the DIC. The only real way to get accurate numbers are to fill up the tank until the pump clicks off, run that tank, and fill up again at the exact same pump until it clicks off. You then take how many miles driven divided by the amount of fuel that you put in it the second time, and you have your mpg for that tank. Doing this 2 or 3 times will give you a solid number.

#17 ·
I do that every time I go to the pump, usually fill up at the Cumberland farms at the corner every time on pump 9... and my DIC is usually accurate with the mileage the car has gone/the gallons put in. maybe off by .1 or something like that... I haven't gotten a tune yet to get the taller tires added into the system, so if it says I do three fifty then that is what the car thinks I did and that gives me my mpg of 29.2 on the DIC. that is why I did those numbers because it is usually always floating around the 350mile mark at each fill up. and I always put 12 gallons in, usually pushing it to a half gallon left in the tank every time. (getting paid every two weeks does that to people)

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Now my brothers car's DIC is way off, I don't know why, his speed is correct with the GPS, but his DIC gives him crazy numbers, I'm guessing it is because of that REAL TIME MPG he has on it. I don't know, but he can go 325 on a tank and end up with a DIC reading of 32, and that doesn't make sense at all.

#28 ·
nice clean car man.

I was there with padlock while he worked on his intake yesterday. looks exactly like yours haha. He used my hacksaw to trim the tube lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.