My Cobalt Ss Rally Build, from Css.net - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Vehicle Showoff Vehicle profiles for Members of YourCobalt.com

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

My Cobalt Ss Rally Build, from Css.net

Heard some talk before about a rally style Cobalt SS. My car is a 06 SS/SC. Mods are basic 2.8-60s-ZZP Midlength-ARK Catback-Bwoody mounts-ZZP 1.0 PCM-ZZP S2 HE, Hurst STS, etc.....sosay about 250 whp or so. Car ran a 13.8 @105 mph now is 200 lbs lighter (see below) has a cai, different tune, larger exhaust, and now I have more experience (that run was my second run ever on the car).

Car is 2720 without me in it (weighed at weigh station). No speakers/amp/xm unit/ sound insulation/gutted trunk...etc.

I have had the lowered look and stock look. Went another direction to mix it up and havent seen anyone actually do anything along these lines?

So heres the plan. Continue to mod along these lines with hopes of racing in local Rallycross or something.

Nice to have ground clearance.

Mods so far are some all weather Michelins on some 16" Borbet CB wheels. Stock FE5 suspension and struts.....plenty of ground clearance.

Waiting for tires. Gonna try and see how the spacers work tommorow. Also gonna trim mud flaps a lil.

Put the LS front bumper on....barely fits over the heat exchanger and you can see the lines. Looks good imo......

Motor shots...

and....

Finally got the tires installed and lifted the front about a half inch. 215/60R16 Yokohama Geo Lander AT/S...rims to be painted black with truck bed liner like the jeep guys......

Need some lights up front, but not sure how to go about it.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Finally got the tires installed and lifted the front about a half inch. 215/60R16 Yokohama Geo Lander AT/S...rims to be painted black with truck bed liner like the jeep guys......

Need some lights up front, but not sure how to go about it.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Messing around with suspension articulation.......lol.

Stopped for a shot by some man made lake? Clay soils good to mess around in.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Small update....didnt score those lights so looking still for a good set.

Looking into getting some sort of suspension......unsure on that. Doing me research...want more lift.

Looking for a stock exhaust.....I want to get rid of this ARK setup and get a stocker. Anyone? Also looking to pick up HP Tuners so I can tweak some things...tire size for speedo...timing and fuel and such...I have the exact numbers at work but going to this size tire makes it something like a 3.62:1 versus stock 3.82:1? Something like that.

Installed my K&N Prefilter so now no worries about dirt and such

Pic of it installed.....

Pic of truck bed liner dash trim (thats a Hurst STS with the reverse lockout removed and hole for pin filled....whole thing painted in wrinkle black....with a polished knob)

and

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Did some Sunday afternoon work.

Bumper needed some TLC and adjustment, figured I would redo the bumper badge....

While it was off, made some tweaks here and there.

Here you can see the K&N Prefilter so my ZZP CAI doesnt get too dirty.

Oh, thats right........Im finally painting those wheels.

This is a feeler paint job. Wasnt sure how the truck bed liner would look...so the barrels of the wheels arent dont.

Closer up shot......nice texture!

Also my interior pieces werent floating my boat......so.............

This is the GM Gold Carbon fiber trim kit.......couldnt find a good picture, so I gambled and think they look great! They dont come with door bezels though?

Anyways............hate on!

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Copied from css.net. So....input please.

Now have HPT and tuning away, have to remove the wheels and finish coating them and reinstall the center caps.....

NEED SOME LS/LT SPRINGS! Willing to trade shocks/struts for yout fe1/fe3 suspension straight up....local in NC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Poor SS, I'll trade you my 05 for it so I can kill in Autocross and you can still do well in rally!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
wow i wish i was in NC i would've traded my suspension for yours lol

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

I dont think it looks half bad tho! so clean and simple

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
Poor SS, I'll trade you my 05 for it so I can kill in Autocross and you can still do well in rally!

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxknight28 View Post
wow i wish i was in NC i would've traded my suspension for yours lol

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

I dont think it looks half bad tho! so clean and simple
Thank you sir, wip.

Last edited by bonylad; 08-07-2012 at 01:51 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I'll take the dots as a sign of consideration!

As long as you are having fun, dont let anyone get you down, keep having fun!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

so you had a good lookin ss and you suited it up to look like an ls? :S am i the only one confused here?
n as far as i can see you have regular seats.. no ss 18inch rims, and no covers on your side mirrors???
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah.. I'm all kinds of confused, as well. Don't get me wrong! Do what makes you happy and more power to you!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't think he's going for looks but more for a car that can go thru dirt terrain and whatnot, I think that's why he is trying to lift it so he can have more clearance. Well at least that's what I interpret it as maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my PG86100

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Veteran

Garage
He is making it a rally car and he put an ls/lt bumper for more clearance.

[Insert signature here]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
i can haz SS bumper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode