Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackBalts' Overdue Showoff

25K views 193 replies 34 participants last post by  BankerBalt 
#1 · (Edited)
BlackBalts/ 05 Cobalt LS Sport/ Burnsville, MN

So, I've been on this site for over a year now. But since my car is just now getting to point that I am proud of it I never made a show off or an introduciton. So to all of you that have been asking for this, here you go! :thanks

Bought this car August of 2011 when my last car crapped on me. I do have full progression pics that I will try and post when I get those photos onto this computer!

Mods:
EXTERIOR

LED reverse lights
LED tail lights
Gen 4 6k HID headlights w/ black interior
6k HID foglights
225/45ZR17 BF Goodrich G force Rival's on Montegi racing MR125 (race day)
225/50ZR17 Hankook v12 k110 on Focal F05's (appearance)
Tinted side markers
Painted bumper inserts and grille black
CF wrapped front bowtie
Full debadge and trim removal
Powder coated drum covers
WUTCONE custom plates

INTERIOR

Reappaulstered head liner black
Pillars and plastic pieces (coat hooks, visor pieces) painted black
Trim wrapped in CF
Door handles, e brake and cup holder trim painted white
CF shift boot
Rear headrest delete
Tinted sunroof
TWM short shifter

ENGINE

Glass bead blasted and clear coated valve cover
Injen CAI intake
2.4 Throttle body or 2.2 depending on what kind of race I am doing
2.4 Intake Manifold
2.5" Bad Mab header
2.5" ZZP catted down pipe
2.5" Stainless magnaflow catback
Trifecta Tune
THM Stainless brake lines
Hawk HSP performance pads
Slotted black zinc rotors

SUSPENSION

DC sport strut support
FE5 Struts and shocks
YYZ V3 springs
SS/SC 24mm Sway bar
Moog endlinks
Moog Sway bar bushings
Poly Transmission mounts
TTR poly engine mount
SS/SC lower control arms
Powell Racing XXX 1.5in rear sway bar
Powell Racing Spherical LCA bushings
Moog Mid LCA polly bushings
Camber bolts

And, now for the pics, enjoy:bigsmile:

Fall Pics...

Here are a couple vids of the Test and Tune on 8/4

race video :: MOV01621.mp4 video by seth05011 - Photobucket

race video :: MOV01619.mp4 video by seth05011 - Photobucket

And, for fun. This cop showed up at one of our driving classes...

race video :: MOV01517.mp4 video by seth05011 - Photobucket

New Video from Test and tune this summer.

GOPR0037_5017.mp4 video by seth05011 | Photobucket

http://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/user/seth05011/media/race%20video/GOPR0037_6927.mp4.html

6-16-13 AutoX day
Best run of the day without a cone.
http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/seth05011/media/race video/3rd53315_zpsae49013a.mp4.html

Best run of the day with one cone.
http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/seth05011/media/race video/4th528651_zpsaf6f2237.mp4.html

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I really should have cleaned the engine bay before taking those pics!!! :palmtoface:

#6 ·
You hit a cone i heard that thump! and heard you curse of course, that autoX looks fun!! :eck21:

#7 ·
I hit that same cone like five times that day. The slalom narrowed so I should have been slowing down. Of course I didn't!!

That is also why I am reluctant to purchase an SS bumper!

#8 ·
I think your call looks great without it!

#16 ·
Thanks. Pricing out a 1.5 in Powell rear sway bar, stage 2 clutch and fly wheel, and way more just gotta stay focused on one or two things at a time!

#18 ·
Someone is selling the ones I really want right now (same led ring in reverse lights). Coloradodude or something but he is asking way too much!! I bought mine on ebay, they had the cheapest price I just watched them for like a month.

#19 · (Edited)
Awesome car! Makes me really miss my fully bolted Black LT! we almost had twins. here was mine.

couple comments though,

in this pic there is a butt load of sidewall rollover. You been watching your tire pressures before and after runs? Just from looking at them it seems that the pressure should be higher. not hating just trying to help out OR ask i guess lol

fix that low hanging bend in your exhaust! I had the same issue with mine in my LT, and its a cheap simple fix to do for a shop, or its easy to do yourself too. saw it here

and finally, get that valve cover painted up real nice. It would really compliment your engine bay! here was mine

and considering your suspension setup, I'd highly recommend getting the Hardcore bar over the Street Bar. You wont regret the extra stiffness. It's awesome on the track

#20 ·
1.Tire pressure is consistantly at 38-40 cold, not sure I should be going much higher than that. Thoughts?

2.Exhaust was fixed since that pic!!

3. Already bought the gasket, just waiting for winter when the car will be on stands!

4. Just talked to Powell yesterday about the Hardcore bar, just need to collect $275 + shipping!

5. Cant wait to have my windows tinted like that. Obviously least important mod for me right now along with the stereo!!

#21 · (Edited)
you dont need a gasket for the valve cover, the stock one can be re-used.. but whatever thats no big deal if you got a new one lol

what are your tires running psi when they are warm? I know I ran 32-34ish psi in my fronts and 29-31ish in my rears on my all seasons when they are warm, but on 18's my sidewall is fairly small and stiff to begin with so sidewall rolling wasnt a huge issue in my case. It may be different with your setup. as long as you arent exceeding manufacturing specs when warm you should be fine. every tire is different

#22 ·
I've only raced these tires three times and haven't really had time to mess with tire pressure. I was hoping someone would have taken some pics this last event so I could see if the problem was fixed. I got another race at the end of the month so I will bring some chaulk and we will know for sure! I know your PSI would be way too low, but my side wall is also 10mm larger. Tires next year will be 235/40/17's Hankook makes the R3's for $135 ea.

#23 ·
lucky having 17's

i was going to run star specs 235/40/18 and they are $230/tire... that would hurt the pocket book lol

the chalk trick always works really well though, so I'd do that for sure next time to avoid excessive rollover, then again v12's aren't known to have a stiff sidewall anyways so the tire may just be the reason

#24 ·
Yeah, I saved 500 going with 17 and kept the weight farther down than 18's.

I'll be switching to the r3's next year. I am a noob to rims and tires so I talk to the auto x guys none stop about them.

What part of WI you in? There are auto x events in Eu Claire from time to time... Like this weekend:)

#25 ·
actually you should make a trip out to wausau on the 29th. I'll be there with the school car club and our project car.. click link for info. it would be sweet to see you there!
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/574544_4611835340532_2116588907_n.jpg

I'm from the madison area so I'm fairly far away from MN a overwhelming majority of the time. wausau is about as close as I will get this year lol

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

as far as tires goes.. star specs are the tire of choice here around the milwaukee/chicago area, with rs3's being a close second.. seems rs3's are a bit more of a time attack type track tire where star specs seem a bit better orientated for autoX. just my observations from here (powell runs star specs as well if that means anything to you)

#26 ·
Powell's word means everything! Hence why I am willing to spend 300 to get a piece of metal on the back end!!

Wish i could do that but i already have two races that weekend and another the next Saturday here. We should plan a couple events next year, make a long weekend or of it! You should pm me your name for fb so we can stay in touch.

#27 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.